What's new
What's new

Wire EDM offsets for ALUM

JZ.

Aluminum
Running a Sodick AQ537L with .010 wire. I'm not to familiar with cutting 6160 Alum. to high precision. I'm working on cutting slots in various widths and lengths thru, anywhere from
2.0 - 3.0in thick. My conditions are OPEN and I am dropping a slug on the rough pass. My tolerance is +.0002 -.0000 on both width and length. I'm creeping up on my size, but just curious if anyone can give me some pointers on offsets and conditions.
Thanks Alot

I have zero experience with a Sodick. I can tell you that with Charmilles machines cutting aluminum, 99% of the time all I normally do is increase off time or "B", I`m talking like 3 to 4 times, changing from say 6ms to 18 or 20. I dont think I`ve had to adjust offset amounts, just running steel tech and adjusting B time size always comes out dead nuts. Good luck!

Sodicks are good with Aluminum but that's a pretty tight tolerance. Open flushing conditions tend to burn on the plus size with this material. What WATER condition are you using? I would try to avoid running the 2 PIKA pass WATER condition and use WATER 3 if your control has it.

Yeah I decided to rough the slots in undersize because of the flushing conditions (top surface is a 3D surface). I'm using submerged cutting conditions, I seem to be getting a decent burn until my final pass, seems like there is just a little to much stock left for it to take off.

Back