What's new
What's new

Wire EDM using magnetic V block

RJT

Titanium
I have to cut some thin wall tubes (.320 ID, .400 OD, 2" long) in half length wise accurately (.0005 off center) and I'm wondering if a magnetic V block or fixture with magnets to hold the part is a good idea. Won't all the steel particles stick the the part and make skimming a hassle? I've never used magnets to hold parts for wire EDM, is their a trick to it?

I've used magnets to hold slugs alot... not sure you would get the same results using it for actual workholding. Can't sacrifice one or two and try it?

I have to cut some thin wall tubes (.320 ID, .400 OD, 2" long) in half length wise accurately (.0005 off center) and I'm wondering if a magnetic V block or fixture with magnets to hold the part is a good idea. Won't all the steel particles stick the the part and make skimming a hassle? I've never used magnets to hold parts for wire EDM, is their a trick to it?

I would be hesitant relying solely on a magnetic v-block to hold your part. Magnets work good but you won't have much surface area to mag too. Depending on how much stock you have to hold onto and how far back you have to cut, what about taking a .320 dia. pin and putting it in the I.D.? Using a v-block that has the straddle on top with a flat point set screw? If you can get a pin in there it won't deform the roundness of the tube and should give you a good hold on your part.

It works fine. If you are concerned about movement, just use some hot glue once it's in place. I use both magnets and hot glue all the time.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but how are you going to skim?? once it`s in half it is what it is. Unless of course you only need one half. Magnets shouldn`t present any issues, burn parts off mag. sines all the time.

Yes, I think so. There are too many tricks to do so, for this you have to go to an expert. But will certainly get some.

We ended up making a fixture (in the wire) to hold the OD, wire the ID, then put in a sacrificial pin and wire though one side of the tube, cut and re thread 180 degrees and wire the second side (from the outside). This kept the tube from collapsing and gave us a good part.

Back