What's new
What's new

45degree angle iron notching?

xa-mont

Hot Rolled
hey guys,

I've got an ongoing fab contract coming up that requires some 25x3mm angle iron to be cut, notched, bent and welded into simple frames.

It's a really basic job, and even with cutting by hand i think i can make money from it, but why not make more money from it? :D

I've done some googling and can't find anything, basically the 90 degree corners need to be mitered or coped (to get a nice square outside corner) but the 45 bends don't need such a tight outside, so could be notched and bent by hand, question here is why can't i find an attachment for my cropper (or any cropper for that matter) that chops out a 45* wedge from angle? would the point of the tool be too weak?

I'm happy to make something myself to suit it (the job is worth it) but would like some hints and tips etc. as i've never made punch/cropping dies before.

Cheers,
Trav.

P.S if anyone has a better idea let me know.

While I have been studying, I still dont speak fluent Australian. What is a "cropper"? ------If its what we call an ironworker, there are many companies that make angle notchers that fit in punch stations- usually brand specific, but pretty easily customized to fit. this one, for example. Edwards Angle Notcher | Elite Metal Tools I personally have never been happy with sheared angle iron for fitup and welding, but my cosmetic standards for everything I build are pretty high. I suppose if they dont care if it looks wonky (thats an american english expression) then you could notch, bend, and weld. It wont sit as flat or look as pretty as miter cut, bevel, weld, and grind, but it would be faster. Roper Whitney still makes the manual setup- a family of hand operated angle iron tools. Roper Whitney No. 455 Combination Angle Iron Shear, Notcher and Bender

While I have been studying, I still dont speak fluent Australian. What is a "cropper"? ------If its what we call an ironworker, there are many companies that make angle notchers that fit in punch stations- usually brand specific, but pretty easily customized to fit. this one, for example. Edwards Angle Notcher | Elite Metal Tools I personally have never been happy with sheared angle iron for fitup and welding, but my cosmetic standards for everything I build are pretty high. I suppose if they dont care if it looks wonky (thats an american english expression) then you could notch, bend, and weld. It wont sit as flat or look as pretty as miter cut, bevel, weld, and grind, but it would be faster. Roper Whitney still makes the manual setup- a family of hand operated angle iron tools. Roper Whitney No. 455 Combination Angle Iron Shear, Notcher and Bender

Sorry mate,

You're studies have done you well, by cropper i do indeed mean ironworker, I have a 100t Edwards.

The only notchers i can find on their site are for a 90 degree bend though (with a 92deg notch), and i need a 45 bend (so presumably 46deg notch).

I agree with Ries, however.

I made a table top for my Dad's 1950's Delta Jo-inter.
IIRC 1 1/2" x 3/16" angle, I mitered out the triangles
with a cut-off saw, and left the "vertical leg"

So when I bent it, and got a nice rounded edge for the corners.
Actually made the joint in the straight section near the belt hole
(bent all 4 corners).

Now, 99% of the time, I miter cut all the way, and then run a weld bead
down that corner (vertical down, hot & fast) and no grinding needed.

But it's not the same as that bent corner.

Simple template and plasma cutter would be faster, probably single digit seconds on 1" angle.

I was thinking about building a chop saw with using a abrasive chop saw and adding a belt or chain drive to run it off another motor mounted on the bench behind the original machine.
So it might be fired up for abrasive speed when needed and chop saw speed when needing that...
Agree likely won't find time to build this simple device.

Can you "make" the angle iron in the press brake ?

Then the notch could be laser, plasma, etc.

Trav Sir,
I second the roper whitney 455 set up or just their notcher. I've use one for years. Simple armstrong activated and you can get custom cutter/dies for them if you need something other than a 45° bend.
Hope this helps
Stay safe
Calvin B

Back