What's new
What's new

Acetylene torch??

Maxdub

Plastic
Hey guys recently I got two acetylene torches from some guy for free but they don’t have oxygen tanks or 2 tubes going to the torch for that matter. Seems it’s only acetylene. Are these some old antique torches or are they missing something?

Hey guys recently I got two acetylene torches from some guy for free but they don’t have oxygen tanks or 2 tubes going to the torch for that matter. Seems it’s only acetylene. Are these some old antique torches or are they missing something?

A picture is worth a thousand words

I've used one a couple times, also old. The flame was quite a bit hotter than the usual propane/mapp stuff. Not as hot as oxy/acetyl, but very handy- lots less cumbersome to haul around & seems like it would braze pretty well temperature-wise. I imagine the usual acetylene tank handling procedures apply.

Air/acetylene plumbers torches.
You are probably right. I was thinking this too because he also had a whole bunch of plumbing pipes and tools but I wasn’t sure. It makes more sense now. I will post a couple pictures today

Justification for bothering with the waste of yer time, mostly.

Modern MAPP gas became plenty hot enough. Less soot on startup & shutdown.
Also safer and lighter, these dropped out of common use.

Yah want to edumacate yerself, most ANY industrial gas goods?

Just browse to a full-line distributor's website or three and read their product line descriptions.

"Big Box" don't count. You want to browse the actual OEM's or broad-line industrial gas mavins that cover the lot.

Here are some pictures.
d943a4448704e815dcf8df5d14169721.jpg

87b40124c7e017024c963c39e54d1d4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can change tip size on those, did he have any other tips? Or the heavy sheetmetal key to open and close the valve?
That is a B - bottle, real plumbing supply shops might still have them for exchange at a good price.

You can change tip size on those, did he have any other tips? Or the sheetmetal key to open and close the valve?
That is a B - bottle, real plumbing supply shops might still have them for exchange at a good price.

Yes I’m pretty sure he did. I didn’t really sort through everything just yet. He gave me a couple more stuff, crates filled with tools and whatnot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can change tip size on those, did he have any other tips? Or the heavy sheetmetal key to open and close the valve?

Meahh "fotos"... even so, it looks more like an "MC" to me?

Airgas
wupps.... better fotos, yah. "B" size.

Pain in the ass, too, any OLD ones are. Lug-aroound WEIGHT besides inspections and Acetone trimming cost and nuisance.

Over the years, War-One onward, some of the various fillers used to provide the insane surface-area needed for adsorption valence-linkage to Acetone have included Asbestos fibres, and even air-entrained concrete!

:(

Meahh "fotos"... even so, it looks more like an "MC" to me?

Airgas
wupps.... better fotos, yah. "B" size.

Pain in the ass, too, any OLD ones are. Lug-aroound WEIGHT besides inspections and Acetone trimming cost and nuisance.

Over the years, War-One onward, some of the various fillers used to provide the insane surface-area needed for adsorption valence-linkage to Acetone have included Asbestos fibres, and even air-entrained concrete!

:(

MC is a baby cyl:
Manfacturer's Cylinder Specifications: 10 cu/ft "MC" Asbestos-Free Acetylene Cylinders: Working Pressure = 8, Diameter = 4-1/8", Length = 12", Weight = 7.75 lbs.
From here:
https://www.amazon.com/10-Acetylene-Tank-CGA-200/dp/B00I4Z4Q1M

B size, 6 x 19.8 x 6 inches:
https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Acetyl...7CPBNJ06KB8&psc=1&refRID=XNR89G7E37CPBNJ06KB8

Bottles in pics have tags on that show 30 cu ft fill.

That's an air acetylene turbo (brand) torch. Not old, not obsolete. Awesome! I have the same setup. Mine I originally bought in the 70's at a yard sale with a smith torch and regulator. Then about 10 years ago I needed to do some outdoor silver brazing of a ground field and my old smith was not quite up to the job in the wind. Where I used to work we had some really good pipe fitters around and they used the the turbo torches and so I switched to that. Both are air acetylene but the turbo torch is quite a bit hotter, and noisier. These things are great to have around. Way better than a hand held torch for copper plumbing. For my occasional use the bottles last for years and it seems most gas vendors don't worry about just swapping them out. I think unless you plan to become a plumber or pipe fitter you won't ever need more than one bottle. That carrier is very nice too. Mine does not have that, need to buy one.

You can get several different tip sizes. And if you do any copper pipe sweating be careful. It is easy to overheat the joint with that torch, just heat it up until it draws the solder into the joint then stop.

Get it filled and you'll love it.

I was wondering how neutral the flame is on these? I've not tried brazing but sure like the precise flame, I used one to heat up rusted on nuts to aid disassembly and to locally soften a couple things.

I was wondering how neutral the flame is on these? I've not tried brazing but sure like the precise flame, I used one to heat up rusted on nuts to aid disassembly and to locally soften a couple things.

unless it's plugged up it will be very close to neutral. oxidizing flame would not be good for brazing, and any excess fuel will reduce the heat and increase carbon in th, so its usually quite close to neutral off the shelf.

Yah don' really need them for "residential" sized Copper lines. Even a MAPP can do more harm than good if yer not used to it. Old "Prestolite" Butane or Propane rig is gentler.

It's the larger commercial/industrial tubing-sizes (with associated heavier wall)
and thinish but very large diameter DWV as rapidly suck heat way from the work-area where they are most appreciated.

If yer going to have one around the shop? Go ahead and equip yerself with the OTHER regulators, hose, and torch set so yah can go grab an O2 bottle if/as/when needs dictate. Those goods are not all that dear. It's the damned jugs, fees, and refills as can eat the money - even sitting idle.

"need" if we all adhered to that word there would be much less to talk about around here!

I agree not really needed but if you have one you won't regret it. I have both the air acetylene, which as I said, I think I refilled the bottle about 5-10 years ago, can't remember and it always works. I also have a fancy little hand torch, one of the new ones, never use it. And he has the bottles, it's not like the big ones where they fight you over rent/own etc. I have always just taken mine in and swapped them. Never had an arguement. Of course in the 40 years I have owned mine I'd guess I have filled it less than 5 times.

Most welding supply stores will swap out those cylinders. Heating and air guys use the heck out of them. That is a plumbers out fit, copper soldering and even very old world lead drain fittings. B stands for Bus and MC stands for Motor car/Motor cycle from the days of Acetylene lighting on vehicles.

Back