What's new
What's new

Acetylene Valve types

SLOEIT

Cast Iron
Hey all,

I am getting ready to order a gas welding setup and was wondering what the difference is between the CGA 300 and 510 valve types?

Ive been searching around and it seems that the 300 is for the uber small bottles and the 510 is the more standard version found on larger bottles? Am I correct or no?

Thanks for any info!

nK

cga are usually nipples with a female nut that fits over the male threads of a bottle. so you would be right, the cga is only for really small bottles, the kind you see with the portable rigs that can be carried in one hand.

CGA-200 is MC sized acetylene

CGA-520 is B sized acetylene

CGA-300 is Commercial acetlene (large tanks)

CGA-510 is POL acetylene

CGA-350 is natural gas, hydrogen

One of those crosses over to gas withdrawal
propane, maybe the 510?

The 300 is right hand male threads on the
tank, the 510 is left hand female threads on
the tank.

Jim

Yeah, the 510 will cross over.

Interesting bit of trivia. The tiny MC tanks and the bigger B tanks got their name from when they were used on motorcycles (MC) and buses (B) for Acetylene Lighting!

"interesting bit of trivia. The tiny MC tanks and the bigger B tanks got their name from when they were used on motorcycles (MC) and buses (B) for Acetylene Lighting!"

Nah! You made that up!? :D Good one.

Look on the underside of the MC tank, you will
see a pipe plug. That's not a fusible plug, it
is where the gage used to go so the rider could
keep an eye on his lighting supply with the
tank mounted across the handlebars.

Some of the B tanks still have the valve offset
on the top, so that when you mounted the
tank horizontally on the running board, the
valve would be at the top and most of the acetone
would not be drawn off.

"I always did like a bike where you turned on the
light with a match...."

Jim

So...which would be the best to have for a home shop? I am buying a tig welder also...so it will be used mainly for preheating, and maybe some brazing...

nK

You might consider propane or mapp instead of acetylene. No little pieces of carbon floating through the shop when you light the torch!

Thats a good idea...since the "shop" is my 2 car garage. Can you use a acetylene regulator on propane or mapp? Will most suppliers stock tanks of mapp?

I live within 25 minutes of a Praxair...I think they would, no?

nK

Yeah, but when I had to clean them off my Beemer I started not to like it. But if you crack the O2 before you light you can get less to none.

Back