What's new
What's new

Adjustable locking pliers alternatives

turnworks

Cast Iron
Title says what Im looking for. Currently running a job that requires me to use them and to be set at a pressure where I need two hands to close them. Roughly clamping and unclamping 400+ times a day and its getting really dang annoying.

Looking for something different but need it to be close to the same speed. Also need them to somewhat be inline with what they are clamping. I don't mind making my own but struggling with the design. Prefer something that uses a twisting motion to clamp. Don't have any hard figures for clamping pressure but figure 500lbs should do it.

Here is an example of what I'm using.

McMaster-Carr

Sorry a little vague on details but I feel there is something out there that Im just not seeing or searching with the correct terms.

Probably not quite what you are looking for, but these pliers have an important difference.

My favorite locking pliers far and away are the Lever Wrench brand locking pliers. The adjustment on them is for the locking PRESSURE, not the jaw opening. Set the wheel and the pliers lock with essentially the same pressure over the entire size of the jaw opening.

I don't believe that the original manufacturer is still making the pliers (characteristic orange cushions), but they are many on Ebay. Lots of different styles and sizes

I also picked up a set of cheap chinese knockoffs with the same mechanism, but they are not nearly as good.

Here's an example of the genuine article:
s-l500.jpg

Its a customer supplied fixture that I can't modify in anyway. Very basically its a c channel shaped part clamped to a plate mounted block upright.

I miss the days of just building things to print instead of hoop jumping requiring to use customers stuff.

Twisting motion? How about a c clamp? Or do you need the fast wide opening of the vice grip style? If you built a new fixture from scratch what would you use?

I would have added a simple block upright to the fixture with a threaded hole in it and used a swivel head jack screw and a nut welded on the end. Simple cordless impact at low setting and its a fast done deal.

C clamp is just too dang long but it did give me an idea. I could modify a correct size C clamp to work with welding on a block for the fixed end. Also instead of of a 4" clamp with a range of 0-4 I could shorten the screw to make it 3-4 range reducing the overall length and making it work.

I kept getting hung up with the idea of a machinist clamp/parallel clamps.

Thanks all for the help.

You want some kind of air cylinder if your doing this 400 times a shift.

Look at Bimba hollow bore cylinders.
Might be able to slip them over a threaded rod, swing washer from Carr lane.

What about combining the last two ideas. Air cylinder operated kant twists. Or maybe change the geometry slightly to increase the mechanical advantage to keep the cylinder diameter down

Most likely you will be making something with a push button operated air cylinder or cylinders....
go see your local hydraulics place, you may use festo or other brand parts.

its easier to push the button than using anything like vice grips ( locking pliers ) whatever name they use for them over there.

Air is a great way and if I could I would. 8 clamps per part along with 6 rotations of the fixture and flipping it over too.

Rotations are for weld sequence to keep the distortion down.

Personally I would like to redesign the part and use different layout of the parts to work with the weld distortion instead trying to eliminate it via fixtures. I’ve only met two engineers that really knew how to make a weldment with distortion in mind.

Air or better yet air over hydraulic but that complicated (and read expensive).
400 clamps a day is 50 per hour so I feel your pain, Kant-twist is screw down but so much slower and your wrists are not going to like it at this production rate.

These things do not make a lot of force since all bends but can some type of cheater bar(s) or welded on ends be used to give more leverage and less effort?
Is this job forever every day or just a big part run?
In a production shop on long runs what you describe would be just asking for a lawsuit.

People design such because it is simple and they do not have to do 400 clamps a shift.
Its all so easy to do one part. Way different to do it for every minute or two for a full shift.
Often have had to slap designers and engineers up side of the head over such things. Yes they demonstrate one or two.
Let me see you do 10 hours at full production speed. We will give you a 1/2 hour break for lunch.

You need fast and these are super fast, if made longer not so hard to work with if there is room.
Two hands of a man not acceptable in my world. One hand of a small lady and not a firm grasp. Finger/thumb clamp at this hourly rate.
Leverage.
Bob

Just use a bar clamp. Slide tight, then give it a crank or two and you'll have more clamping force than vice grips could dream of. It's what we use for everything that doesn't clamp flat to our table.

Ive used knu-vise pliers before and liked them but didn't know they were made new anymore. Actually I thought they were preWW1 clamps.

Its been awhile but I remember them not having much clamping force. Their websites claim 400-1600lb holding but can't find the clamping pressure.

Back