advice for buying a hydraulic press with this particularity
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default advice for buying a hydraulic press with this particularity

    Hi,

    Could someone tell me the names of the pieces circled in red plz ?

    also if you can tell de name of this kind of hydraulic press ?

    I m searching for a press which pieces (circled in red ) are at least as large (circonference) as the one in circle (cause i have large objects to press )


    ... any suggestion how to achieve to get a press with large circles at a low( very low) cost? (does not need to be the most powerful though.)

    tx





  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    5,355
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    187
    Likes (Received)
    1738

    Default

    The items you circled are not intrinsic to the press. The press is one purchase and the table, anvil, platen, ram, or whatever you or some seller chooses to call them are accessories. There are many, many such accessories. Probably as many as there are presses out there. Many are made in the shop where the press is used.

    Cheap? You are in the wrong forum. Anyway, you can shop around for the press. The designs are very similar and you only need to look for the tonnage that you need. As for the accessories, some of the companies that sell the presses may have some. Or you can just make or have made your own.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,840
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    167

    Default

    In the photo I'm seeing you don't really show enough of the press to be able to name it. But judging from what they are testing I would say it is a finely calibrated Laboratory press of some kind might not even be hydraulic.
    The plate on the bottom I would call a bed or table plate or anvil. Normally that would be supplied by the user. The top I would just call ram tooling again normally supplied by the user.
    Most better made presses have facilities to attach both top and bottom tooling.
    Better photo might help your cause.

    Andy

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eureka, CA
    Posts
    3,904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    813
    Likes (Received)
    1411

    Default

    I'll go out on a limb here and say the original post is someones young (dumb) teenage son screwing with the old farts here. The only other comment is, whoever welded the disc on that press foot needs to go back to junior college and take more welding lessons.

    Stuart

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    2,833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    916

    Default

    Maybe ,but it looks to me a minimal weld to avoid burning up the hardchrome too much.......What are they doing ...testing bicycle helmets .....dont diss these guys ......one of the best jobs I ever had was a professor with a million dollar research grant ,and absolutely no idea of what anything should cost......First invoice I gave him ,he says ...Gee ,never had anything done under $10,000 before......OOps ,addition error there.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eureka, CA
    Posts
    3,904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    813
    Likes (Received)
    1411

    Default

    Sure don't know why it would be hard chrome as it's a foot that attached to the ram with a 5/16" bolt, but you are correct, it could be some university nerds doing their thesis on mashing bike helmets. They were set free in the million dollar lab with little supervision. Character building I suppose.

    Stuart

  7. Likes Ray Behner liked this post
  8. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA USA
    Posts
    7,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1282

    Default

    I would say the orange and black ram is part of the press as bought. It probably has a small hole drilled from the bottom down the long axis. There is a cross hole with a bolt intersecting that longitudinal hole. It is probably not threaded. But they lost the pin and repalced it with a bolt instead.
    That bolt/pin carries no load beyond stopping the plate from falling off due to gravity when it is not pushing. Pull the pin and the plate falls off with it's welded stub to be repalced by another nose piece.
    Bill D.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by presslove View Post
    Hi,

    Could someone tell me the names of the pieces circled in red plz ?

    also if you can tell de name of this kind of hydraulic press ?

    I m searching for a press which pieces (circled in red ) are at least as large (circonference) as the one in circle (cause i have large objects to press )


    ... any suggestion how to achieve to get a press with large circles at a low( very low) cost? (does not need to be the most powerful though.)

    tx




    Are you planning to be the next Hoodraulic Press Channel?

  10. Likes gregormarwick, PlasmaOnTheBrain liked this post
  11. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    2,833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    916

    Default

    Both plates are easily cut from say 3/4 steel ,or whatever you have laying around the yard,or go to a steel fabricator,and these will be waste centres cut out of plate .....I always save these round flats when I see them ,even if I was going to the Oscars,and saw a bit of round steel on the ground ,I pick it up and save it.....They have a million uses .

  12. #10
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    FINLAND
    Posts
    2,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    570
    Likes (Received)
    978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    Sure don't know why it would be hard chrome as it's a foot that attached to the ram with a 5/16" bolt, but you are correct, it could be some university nerds doing their thesis on mashing bike helmets. They were set free in the million dollar lab with little supervision. Character building I suppose.

    Stuart
    That screenshot is obviously from "hydraulic press channel" youtube. Guy is a machinist and that is not the only attachment he has made for the press.

    Not sure if OP is just trolling or totally clueless but almost any machining or fabricobbling shop should be able to make those "plates" for you.
    Pretty sure it is 150 or 200 ton Vakomet press in their shop. Not exactly "really cheap" what OP was looking and weights about 2000 kg by itself. HYDRAULIC PRESSES / Lakeuden Hydro Oy

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    3,835
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1345
    Likes (Received)
    1537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    That screenshot is obviously from "hydraulic press channel" youtube. Guy is a machinist and that is not the only attachment he has made for the press.

    Not sure if OP is just trolling or totally clueless but almost any machining or fabricobbling shop should be able to make those "plates" for you.
    Pretty sure it is 150 or 200 ton Vakomet press in their shop. Not exactly "really cheap" what OP was looking and weights about 2000 kg by itself. HYDRAULIC PRESSES / Lakeuden Hydro Oy
    He has a big machine shop too, sometimes does behind the scenes videos in there on his second channel, that are generally better than most of the machining fluff on youtube.

    He did a nice video recently in a big gear shop in Tampere: YouTube

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    2,833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    916

    Default

    I have dealt with purchasing people from very prestigious organizations who didnt have a clue about anything practical.They were getting paid far more than me ,had first class degrees ,and were mostly management cadets...one particular guy sticks in my mind ...I thought him a ninny ,but my female boss was most impressed by the fact that said ninny had "done a walking tour in the Hindu Kush".....and it really pissed me he did just one thing ,being rename the boiler house the "Energy Centre",which qualified him for promotion.That was day one of my "new education".Yep ,I do remember that.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    HI tx for your answers,
    yes maybe i would give it a shoot if i can find a press.

    that is the name of preses that work automatically (without having to push a lever forever?
    im triying to pin point he words for research , should i search with hydrolic or pneumatic or else?
    TO start with easy objects (not trying to bend metal blocks ) what model of press you think i could start with that and maybe find used?
    tx

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    32

    Default

    The lever(s) you hold down or button(s) you push are a safety feature. It requires you to actively do something to make it move. It's to prevent you from squishing body parts in the press or if something happens and you need to stop it while it's moving all you have to do is let go.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    17,286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by presslove View Post
    HI tx for your answers,
    yes maybe i would give it a shoot if i can find a press.

    that is the name of preses that work automatically (without having to push a lever forever?
    im triying to pin point he words for research , should i search with hydrolic or pneumatic or else?
    TO start with easy objects (not trying to bend metal blocks ) what model of press you think i could start with that and maybe find used?
    tx
    You write funny....Now straighten up and fly right.

    type real questions, and provide real answers to our questions and you'll get real help.

  18. #16
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    835
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    71
    Likes (Received)
    304

    Default

    Don't tell me you're going to try to bend 1.5" AR500 next......

  19. Likes digger doug liked this post
  20. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA USA
    Posts
    7,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1282

    Default

    I think he means not a manual pump with a lever but a electric pump system to power the ram.
    Bil lD


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •