What's new
What's new

smoothing 3d prints

NikkoIndustries

Plastic
forgive me if this isnt the subforum for this

i build props(video game/movie armor) with 3d printing. i've found that flexible filament is best to build these. but i would like to have a smoother surface finish with little to no layer lines. right now i'm using Kwik Seal and applying layers of that to the print and then sanding it down. doing so hides the layer lines as well as still being flexible with the print so it doesnt crack or flake. the problem with Kwik Seal is that it takes forever to apply.

do you guys know of any other material that does the same? or am i stuck with Kwik Seal to smooth and post process my flexible prints.

Thanks in advance!!

With ABS and PLA prints I like to use glazing putty (the stuff sold for automotive bodywork). It sands down real easy. Then hit it with some spray can high build primer followed by whatever paint you like. I have no experience with the flexible filament. If the finished part actually flexes I think glazing putty would crack.

There is a whole 3D printing section on PM but 3D printing brings out the flakes and dreamers so it's better here! We do a lot of FDM printing of anatomical models and don't smooth. When we have needed finer prints they've gone to a local Objet tSLS printer or to Shapeways. He latter seemed pretty affordable though the parts we had done were small. Have you considered outsourcing?

I wonder if a dip coat (like for pliers handles) would work? I would guess that they would work with latex paints for detailing after drying:

Colored Liquid Latex - DipKote

If this works it would be very fast and easy to apply, but not to shape afterwards. It really would just act as a quick filler for the fine "string" finish of the 3D parts, but that sounds like all you're looking for.

i tried plastidip thinned with Xylol and it didnt give me a smooth surface. it's textured, but not the look i wanted

i even tried a high build latex primer, but the brush strokes were so prominent...

nah, i like my printers. actually i LOVE them. its just a matter of finding a better way to smooth and finish the surface. right now filler primer seems to be the best bet...

For PLA prints use Elmers wood filler. Easy to sand and clean up. Sticks well to PLA. Then paint.

Smooth-on sells some coating products that might fit your needs. Polymaker sells a special filament and a fairly inexpensive enclosures that mists a sol over the part to smooth out the layer lines. Look for the term "Polysher".

Acetone vapor can be used to smooth ABS and some folks use an electrically heated boiler to create the vapor. Not the safest method, but it does work.

Back