Aerowave dilemma
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Aerowave dilemma

I'm not getting 24V to open GS1 [gas solenoid]. I traced the circuit back to PC1 main control board. LED#5 does light on the PC1 board which leads me to believe the circuit is complete to that point [LED#5]. Now heres my issue;
    Do I ship one of the most expensive welding circuit boards, with a relatively minor problem, to a company that claims they fix these boards, risking shipping and handling damage ? Or, do I leave well enough alone and simply by-pass the circuit and turn gas flow on and off at the flowmeter. Whaddya think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is it your only TIG machine? Do you use it enough where the hassle of lost gas and extra time to turn the gas on and off will drive you to another machine anyway?

If it were me, I'd take the chance and ship it IF the place was reputable. I'd take every precaution to package it well, and make sure they could get it back to me in as good packaging. I'd much prefer to use a machine I liked using than deal with the frustrations of a malfunctioning unit. If I decided it wasn't worth using in it's faulty state, I'd want to sell it, and at that point I'd still want it fully functional to sell to someone.

It's your dilemma obviously - that's just what I'd do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your thoughts. I do have other gtaw options [ powcon] but, nothing like the capabilities of this machine. This is like the "Ferrari" of the welding world. It can weld a snowball to a screen door , so to speak. But, with that being said, it also known for not being a very durable machine. Think of it as the precursor to the Dynasty line. That's the reason for my concern in sending off the board for repairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where in MA are you? There is a very good repair facility in Salem NH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm on the Cape. Do they specialize in printed circuit board repairs or, welding power supply repairs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awscwi View Post
    I'm on the Cape. Do they specialize in printed circuit board repairs or, welding power supply repairs?
    Call Ron Tocci at Airgas, 603-890-4600 X3021. They are an authorized Miller dealer and repair shop. Tell him I sent you. He's a straight arrow.

I got my Miller 180 and later my 250DX there, and they've taken care of me well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, but Miller won't repair boards they are just "tube jockeys" i.e. pull out old board---install new board to the tune of $1,500. No offense to Miller-they don't make the boards to begin with. I need a company that specializes in pc board repairs and has the schematic for board #186073.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i use Innovat Corp, 276 783-9771. just insure the box for 1500 and if something goes missing you get a new one. They have some prices on their web page. http://www.innovatcorp.com/
    matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks for the info--I"ll check them out.