Aluminum Alloys for a formed part and tube weldment - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IMHO your right to be nervous about bending T6 theres a reason most material is supplied at this temper, cold work T6 and your going to take it effectively past this temper, this will reduce fatigue life. If your bending it hard enough to not crack but start cracks forming then this reduction can be rapidly significant too. Theirs proven reasons why pretty much all the txt books class T6 condition as unsuitable for cold working - forming, ignoring that is either reckless or needs some pretty good testing + then process control to rule out as being a issue.

Its very hard to judge this kinda stuff on larger weldments, simply loading it harder (say a fat dude riding on some nicely tarmacked german roads) may have no - minimal effect, same exact structure being ridden on cobbles by a anorexic Dutch man may well suffer vibrations that destroy - cause crack propagation to happen too fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would only do the flame anneal on the prototypes, let the laser cutter cut you T6 pieces and then you can anneal and form. Maybe have the laser cutter do several different thicknesses and test them to destruction (after heat treat of course) When it scales up all parts either get oven annealed in a batch or cut from soft material.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Upon further investigation there are some places that sell T4 plate in retail quantities. Now to see if we can get them in Canada or if shipping is more than annealing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There has been some progress on the project so I thought I'd update this thread. In the end, in conversation with the welder, who is a long time and well known Vancouver builder of bike frames, art projects and general ephemera, we went with the mixed formed 5052-to-6061 tube approach as was suggested here. A consideration was that this is really an electric vehicle and not a bike so we can err considerably on the side of extra weight for strength compared to a true bicycle. The annealed and heat treated 6061 route is still intellectually appealing but 5052 will be fine for the time being. Anyway, as you can see it seems to have come out great. The cut and formed parts from the laser guys were super accurate so everything fit right together. Here, we had a bunch of riveted on brackets to hold parts together which allowed us to install parts and sit on the thing to check various fits before welding. I think the brackets mostly came off for welding but I wasn't there. I also think there is further scope to either get the 2"X4" and 3"X3" tubes laser cut as tubes, or even get them cut in two halves and welded together. Either way you could add features to allow snap together assembly for welding, and it would reduce the conventional machining to just the head tube and the rear swing arm pivot parts. That may make the manufacturing workflow considerably simpler.

final-pre-welding.jpg
    welded.jpg

I will leave you with another question: does anyone know of shops doing retail quantities of laser tube cutting that could handle square tubes? I'll look around locally but would be happy to hear suggestions farther afield.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IME laser tube cutting at least over here whilst some what common has a fair setup charge that kinda makes it more costly till you get into some qty or really need it. Thinner alu with joints just for welding, a simple template and hand held router can work real well for some things.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice mill....what's with the crap in front of it ?....

Seriously, the design looks a wee bit "pointy" and hazardous.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rcoope View Post
    I will leave you with another question: does anyone know of shops doing retail quantities of laser tube cutting that could handle square tubes? I'll look around locally but would be happy to hear suggestions farther afield.
    Beautiful Railing Systems & Contract Metal Manufacturing by Wagner is retail quantities (75 or 150 (dollars, not parts or looneys) min order, I forget). They are the gurus of all things tube, and are beyond fair price/quality. I think their laser will do 3" square. If not they know of one or 10. O'Neal steel sells the service here, not sure if it is in house and geography of that service center.

8. Likes rcoope liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like a really cool project to be working on. I am in the process of designing a motorcycle swingarm out of aluminum and found this information quite helpful.

What filler wire did you end up using to mate the 5052 and 6061?

Teddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you have a Tube Service in your area? I use them here in Portland and I think they have a shop in Vancouver. They do tube laser cutting in Los Angeles and truck the cut parts up north with their normal deliveries so there's no transport fee. Not sure on pricing. However looking at your bike, that really doesn't justify laser cutting. Unless you were short on time and making 20+ of them identically, at this point I'd just do them by hand. You can use a chop saw, Sawzall, router, jigsaw, bandsaw, hacksaw, hole saw, hand drill, grinder w/ cutoff wheel or other similar tools to work that stuff, and you can do it fast.

11. Likes rcoope liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was not around for the welding but I shall see if I can find out. Thanks folks for the suggestions re tube cutting places.