What's new
What's new

Is this aluminum extrusion section available /common?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I am looking for a few sticks of a aluminum angle with a very soft corner in 1/8" or 3/16" x 3 or 4"

Like this:

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 8.20.10 AM.jpg

I looked around and can't seem to find this as a stocked item.
Any ideals where to find?
I need four 20' sticks or so.

Thanks

Maybe not exact but look at atm case hardware, tch may have radius channel. Also outwater plastics in nj who sell cabinet and point if sale do dads and components

It's definitely not a stock shape but there could well be places making it as a custom extrusion. You say you need
20 footers but what is your actual cut length? If you're at 12 ft. or less it should be quite easy to form up angles
from strips of flat stock...

I have seen similar on truck boxes. Used to make a skirt under the box to hide the frame. I might even have a piece here in the scrap pile to look at.

That is exactly my application- this is a section to carry the deck framing on a trailer and band skirt wall.
I know I could simply use angle but have other places I need the radius and also want to soften that bottom edge and the corner post.

Max length I need is 12’

If you have friends with a press brake, the shapes could be formed from flat stock.

Tom

I don’t but in the same vein- just call around for the press work?
Is 12’ a unusually long break?
Nothing is super specific about the shape just so all the sticks are the same.

...Is 12’ a unusually long break?

Up to 12' should be pretty easy to find. Probably more difficult to find someone with dies that will give
you that radius. Other than that it's a pretty simple job.

One possibility would be to make your 90 deg. corner by making two 45 deg. bends. Not as smooth as
a single radius but it will give you a softer corner and be simple for anyone to do...

On a press brake "any" rounded top die will work. You just do 10 or so bends 3/8" or so apart to get to 90º. 10 bends at 9º each, space them to get the radius you want will be 90º. It doesn't look bad if using the standard top die, just a rounded one will leave less creases along the length.
You can make a short sample on a leaf brake, bend 9º pull out 3/8, bend 9º etc...
Adjust bend spacing and number of bends to meet your looks requirement.

Up to 12' should be pretty easy to find. Probably more difficult to find someone with dies that will give
you that radius. Other than that it's a pretty simple job.

Most decent CNC press brakes will be able to bump form that with 'normal' tooling, with the hits close enough together than it looks smooth on the outside. The control on mine defaults to .118" between hits, but can be infinitely adjusted from there.

Clark Machine in Baltimore is listing 1000 ton out to 30’ lengths.
I will get this quoted.

I will draw this detail up and post.

Edit- I need about 80’ of material- longest stick is 7’-6” not 12’...

This is one of the places I am using- band around floor beams:

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 5.16.40 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 5.28.23 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Good approach TRBoatworks and I just had to pop in to point out my favorite Vancouver area shop, KSM Fabricators, once made me 12' long bends in 12 Ga mild steel on their 10'
press brake and you could not tell. So that might be an option with a good brake. (Interesting unrelated trivia, no one here seems to have a laser bed larger than 10' so I had a waterjet shop cut my 12' parts and send them to the laser shop for bending!)

Last edited:

Back