What's new
What's new

Aluminum Welds (Pics 2nd Try)

Metal Slave

Hot Rolled
This is something my dad welded a couple of days ago.
I have always admired his ability to weld & have been especially fond of the way he welds aluminum.
Does this kick butt or what?

AlumWeld3.jpg

AlumWeld2.jpg

AlumWeld.jpg

Thought someone might appreciate those pics.
Do they work now?

[ 09-23-2005, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: TruPo ]

Trupo,
That was fantastic. Is your dad a professional welder or he is doing it for fun? What kind of welding machine does he use ? I am a beginner and welds like that I saw in welding textbooks

Khanh

Khanh-
I'm guessing he's been doing this about 40+ years now.I know he's been welding since a teenager & he's 58 so whatever that figures out to be.Fun,,,I doubt it!It really messes him up these days when he welds for long periods of time,mainly TIG welding.I guess the gas comes up underneath the hood & it's something you can't help but breathe.But he still takes pride in it & he also takes pride in teaching others what he knows.

As for a welder he has a couple but one I know is a Miller Sync 250

Those are very nice! You know the welding bug has bit ya when you look at the welds on everything from heavy equipment to to car frames. I go around looking at welds on everything.
Chris

Those are textbook welds, no doubt about it. Washed in, symetrical and even. Your father is indeed a professional. Hats off !!!! Good pics too. Thanks for posting.

John

TruPo, I have welded and seen miles of aluminum tig and your dad is quite talented. If you have an intrerest in welding, you have a golden opertunity to learn from a great welder, take advantage of it.

BTW, does your dad also DC weld aluminum?
(probably does)
Jim,,,
Yeah,in fact,the day he welded these he had some other Alum parts that he welded a flange on the end of a tube.I knew that he was TIG welding them,but later when I looked at the welds,they were not the shiny welds like the photos,looked more like heat treated aluminum color welds.I asked & he told me that because of the wall thickness of the tube he had to do it in DC.

Thats damn nice work, you are well justified to be proud of your old man. The consistency is outstanding, the mark of a practiced professional.

I am going to add a post to the "Your Own Dream Welding Shop" thread and its going to say that my dream welding shop employs your father to do all my welding.

you have a golden opertunity to learn from a great welder, take advantage of it.
Scott,,
It's funny you say that because he keeps telling me that he needs to teach me how to weld the stuff that we do..He does alot of welding on the Airborne Laser project & once the day comes that he can't weld anymore there won't be anyone left to do it.Not in our area anyway.So he had me practicing a couple of weeks ago but since I do most of the machining there it's hard to find the extra time to play around when we have delivery dates to meet & bills to pay.

Obviously lots of heat went into flange - was it still flat?
It wasn't too bad,when we faced the bottom plate it ran within .020-.025.Without the gussets it would have been more like .040-.050.We had to take an 1/8" off both ends & it cleaned up no problem.

I am going to add a post to the "Your Own Dream Welding Shop" thread and its going to say that my dream welding shop employs your father to do all my welding.
Jkilroy...In that "Dream Shop" of yours you might want to fantasize that he is still in his early 30's.

Wow! He's a real pro!
That'll make guys think twice before calling themselves "Welders" :D

Back