What's new
What's new

Amada vs Trumpf

Bandido

Plastic
Hi,
I have an opportunity to start a small sheet metal fabrication company. I work for a company in the auto industry and we are a Tier I to the major OEMs. So this will be an opportunity to be my own boss.......

Current plan is to start with the basic equipment, a CNC turret press and a bending machine. Eventually the plan will be to incorporate a laser as well. During the past few months, we analyzed equipment from a few manufactures; and basically decided that Amada will be the correct one. A few weeks ago, we analyzed Trumpf and I’m having doubts in which way should I ago.

Without getting technical, capabilities for both equipments (similar models) from one manufacturer vs the other seem very similar. On the pricing side, one is around 10% more expensive. Our budget for the equipment is $650,000.00.

We have decided as well that we do not want to have a mix of brands in the main equipments, so where are looking at both Amada and Trumpf as a whole, contemplating their equipment for piercing, bending and laser cutting. In some kind of way we’re getting married with one supplier, and it’s extremely important that we decide the best technology according the products we will initially produce and thinking about the future markets we might decide to target.

Leaving support, service and price of the equipment out of the equation; and considering just (a) technology of the brand for punching, bending and laser cutting, (b) automation of the equipment, (c) capabilities of the software, (f) functionality, (e) reliability, (f) capabilities, (g) integration between equipments, (h) maintenance, (i) operations costs and any others you might pick; which will be the best decision? Should we decide for Amada or Trumpf?

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

I was the Engineering Manager for a sheet metal company back in the early 1990's. i wasn't involved with the acquisition of the production machines, just managed the designs of what they produced. ALL the machines in the business, which employed about 85 people, were manufactured by AMADA. That's all I can tell you except they seldom broke down. I have no idea what they cost, or comparison in quality to any other manufacturer, but at least I didn't view your post and not leave you a comment. :)

Thanks, very much appreciated.

Do you recall what the issue was? Wear with the turret for instance? What about the maintenance costs of the equipment? I’m assuming the cnc turret presses they had where hydraulic. The one that I’m reviewing right know, is a servo-electric CNC turret press and press brake is a hybrid equipment is some kind of way, both from Amada.

I have dealt with Trumpf equipment for almost 20 years programming both lasers and punching. My opinion Trumpf equipment is better with (a), (b) and (f). Cannot answer to the Trumpf software as I use a one solution programming software that can be configured to generate any code. You need to have Amada and Trumpf run some of your parts to compare cycle times and sheet utilization. Service should be part of the equation.

Independent CNC Programmer
www.independentcnc.com

My mission is to share CNC programming innovations for a lifetime.

Hi Bandido!
I am going through the same analysis right now. I have had good experiances with Amada but the Trumpf is new to me. Thier equipment does look good.
What size equipment are you looking at? I am looking at 4 meter Laser & punch with automation & 2 press brakes.

Amada is the best press brake in the world but too expensive.maybe you should think of importing from overseas.press brake is not high technical products.maybe you only need to pay 30% cost if you would do that. if you insist on choosing between this two brand. i prefer amada at all

Trumpf vs Amada

Tool life will be much better with Trumpf. If you are going to being punching heavy material or very light material the Trumpf with out perform the Amada.
The punch & die alignment on a Trumpf is better because of the design.
(No turret). We have Amada laser & press brake with their Dr Abe Software.
Software is pretty good but it has a steep learning curve. I don't think you go wrong with either they are both first class equipment.

We service both machines, and they are both pretty good. From my perspective (operators may have different views) Trumpf V and 5000 series are the better choice for high volume, 12+ shifts a week, because they seem to be able to go longer between services. Amadas are easier to get aftermarket parts for, so I guess it would depend on your operations.

press brake is not high technical products.maybe you only need to pay 30% cost if you would do that.

I disagree on this point.

Good NC controls and repeatability of bends is something that cheap press brakes don't do well. It's also worth looking at your parts to determine how many backgauge axes you need. Some people only need one. Others need 5. For best efficiency in the parts I handle I would need 10, but we can limp along with a lot of alignment tabs that we grind off later and a 5 axis backgauge until we get a brake of our own.

Cycle time is also a big consideration.

That's not to say a cheap brake may not be suitable, but you really have to look at what you are making and evaluate from the parts.

Go for BODOR fibre laser cuttig machine. its really good

I disagree on this point.

Good NC controls and repeatability of bends is something that cheap press brakes don't do well. It's also worth looking at your parts to determine how many backgauge axes you need. Some people only need one. Others need 5. For best efficiency in the parts I handle I would need 10, but we can limp along with a lot of alignment tabs that we grind off later and a 5 axis backgauge until we get a brake of our own.

Cycle time is also a big consideration.

That's not to say a cheap brake may not be suitable, but you really have to look at what you are making and evaluate from the parts.

You do realize that a spammer dredged this back up just to drop a linky ?

And the OP has not been back since 2011....

Back