which angle grinder should I buy? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've run just about every type of grinder out there... With the exception of some very high-end grinders, you can let the smoke out of all of them just the same.

Having let the smoke out of a nice Dewalt several years ago I decided that it's better to have MORE cheap grinders than 1 or 2 nice ones. So my grinder purchases followed suit. I've been using $10 horror freight grinders since that time. I've never let the smoke out of one but I did have one fail on me (seems it lost a brush or something). Horror freight took care of it and sent me on my way with a new one.

That being said, I don't use grinders a great deal. If smooth, quiet, non-vibe are features you care about then you want top of the line...

2. Likes awake, steve45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm with mf205i and CountryBoy19, at least up to a point - but need to emphasize the same caveat, that I don't grind much compared to many on here.

Currently I have 4 4.5" grinders and 2 9" grinders. Two of the former are from HF; one of these is a replacement for one that finally died. The rest cost me a total of $15 - two heavy duty Dewalts (4.5") and two Bosches (9") - bought at auctions. They all needed a bit of work; for the Dewalts, I bought half-a-dozen 4.5" grinders with cords cut for a total of $5; I was able to use one Dewalt to fix two others, plus I also was able to repair a lower-end Dewalt (all plastic - not too good - I gave it away). The rest were not repairable. But for $5, I got two very nice, hard-working Dewalts.

The HF grinders have done a lot of grinding for me; they're not as nice as the Dewalts, but they get the job done - and price-wise they're basically disposable tools. For the 4.5" grinders, I keep one with a cut-off wheel (only need it occasionally, but then I really need it), one with a standard grinding wheel, one with a flap disc, and one with a wire brush. SO nice to be able to switch from one to another without pausing!

Again, all of the above is contingent on the fact that I do not grind all day, nor do I grind every day!
    Last edited by awake; 11-29-2017 at 07:37 AM.

4. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

this is a philosophical question.
    it depends if you drink the cheapest beer, or you buy the good bourbon.

some people, me included, just get irritated when using really cheap crappy tools. I wont do it.
    But I DO grind pretty much every day, sometimes with 2 or 3 employees using my grinders. We usually keep a 4 1/2" with a cut disc, another with a wire wheel, another with a grinding disc, another with a scotchbrite pad, and at least three with flap discs, at any given time, with a few larger ones on the shelf for bigger sizes. I get irritated if a grinder wont survive at least 10 years, and couple of rebuilds. 2 or 3 replacement cords, when the old ones disintegrate. So I am not buying harbor freight.
    I have had very good luck with the made in Germany Bosch and Metabos.
    I wont buy either Bosch or Metabo made in China bottom end grinders.

I have used makitas, and find them unsatisfying to the hand, and they seem to wear out much faster than my Bosch's.
    Also- Adama, we dont get the same grinders, from either Bosch, Metabo, or Makita, here in the USA, that you get in the UK, and the prices dont seem to be the same either.
    you seem to have 40 pound Makitas, and 80 pound Metabos.
    We have $140 dollar Makitas, and $180 dollar Metabos, and often, Bosch is the same price or Less than an equivalent Makita.
    So to me, the German grinders are usually a minor step up, pricewise, and based on the ones I have used, clearly better made.
    I think the UK system of duties, plus the factories you source from, must be different, because a Makita is not half the price, or twice the quality, here.

Anyway- If I had to have one measly grinder, it would be german, because after 40 years of burning em up, they have done better. Dropped off ladders, cords run over by forklifts, burned and scratched and dragged around by the cords, day in and day out. But I like nice things.
    And I have never had an object from harbor freight in my hands that didnt make me itch.

6. Likes jshel2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok Ries, good point, roughly for a 4 1/2" industrial grade grinder over here,

Bosch on offer about £40-50 range
    Makita the same.
    Hitachi as well are available in this price point and you see them in more than a few heavy fab places, but IME theres nothing that nice about em, but they do hold up well.
    Metabo jumps up to more in the £50-80 range,
    Fein prices go nuts.

Yep you can get cheaper still, but most of those are the DIY grade stuff probably more akin to the HF stuff and really has no place in a serious industrial environment unless your going the fast throw away disposable route.

As to origin, seams to have way less bearing on quality these days than it did, depending on the model some are made in the uk with Bosch or makita some Germany and some from china its not brand wide on any of them and vary much varies from one model to the next on any of the brands, but then thats kinda normal across the whole of the EU these days on any make.

Am surprised your prices are so high too. over here 180 dollar metabo would be a absolute top of the line large grinder with every feature known to man and then some, but few would buy it. Seriously gotta wonder if its a voltage thing, over here in the UK 240V is std, that should give you damn near twice the performance in a given motor volume for a given temperature rise. Have seen virtually no totally burnt out grinders over here, just worn brushes, seized bearings and damaged cables - switches.

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post

Makita the same.
    Hitachi as well are available in this price point and you see them in more than a few heavy fab places, but IME theres nothing that nice about em, but they do hold up well.
    Fein prices go nuts.
    ---
    Seriously gotta wonder if its a voltage thing, over here in the UK 240V is std, that should give you damn near twice the performance in a given motor volume for a given temperature rise.
    Fein pricing is not the same as it used to be. (And like someone said in this thread quality has gone down along with the price)
    Starts at around 70 euros or 60 GBP FEIN O 115mm Winkelschleifer WSG 7-115 | 76 Watt im Karton | eBay

Big 230mm Feins are still very expensive.
    --

Voltage should not make much practical difference, US versions just use thicker wire in winding.
    (It makes difference if you compare 12 volts vs. 240 volts, as it would need very thick and cumbersome cable/cord and different motor design)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dewalt would have to be free just over a month of heavy use and the bearings were gone
    in the head.
    the Milwaukee that replaced it well it just keeps on working.

Makita well that depends on what one you get they make good stuff and then there
    is the crap consumer grade stuff.

any of the 4.5 size grinders will let the magic smoke out of the motor if you lean on it
    hard enough and long enough

in the 6 to 9 inch class well that Makita is nice, but like my Milwaukee.
    need to do some serious grinding prepping for a weld put the 9 in wheel on it and lean on it
    down side the beast is heavy

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    Dewalt would have to be free just over a month of heavy use and the bearings were gone
    in the head.
    the Milwaukee that replaced it well it just keeps on working.

Makita well that depends on what one you get they make good stuff and then there
    is the crap consumer grade stuff.

any of the 4.5 size grinders will let the magic smoke out of the motor if you lean on it
    hard enough and long enough

in the 6 to 9 inch class well that Makita is nice, but like my Milwaukee.
    need to do some serious grinding prepping for a weld put the 9 in wheel on it and lean on it
    down side the beast is heavy
    so the one I have up there is nice?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I grind about 10 minutes per month. I was happy with my Harbor Freight (it has served me well for 12 years) until I read this thread. So I got on ebay and have a Metabo coming. I bet I will like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Makita the same.
    Fein prices go nuts.

Yep you can get cheaper still, but most of those are the DIY grade stuff probably more akin to the HF stuff and really has no place in a serious industrial environment unless your going the fast throw away disposable route.

As to origin, seams to have way less bearing on quality these days than it did, depending on the model some are made in the uk with Bosch or makita some Germany and some from china its not brand wide on any of them and vary much varies from one model to the next on any of the brands, but then thats kinda normal across the whole of the EU these days on any make.

Am surprised your prices are so high too. over here 180 dollar metabo would be a absolute top of the line large grinder with every feature known to man and then some, but few would buy it. Seriously gotta wonder if its a voltage thing, over here in the UK 240V is std, that should give you damn near twice the performance in a given motor volume for a given temperature rise. Have seen virtually no totally burnt out grinders over here, just worn brushes, seized bearings and damaged cables - switches.
    Over here, a mid sized Metabo, say a six inch, can easily be between $250 and $300. Thats 185 pounds and up...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ Thats nuts, you are getting hosed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jshel2000 View Post

Variable speed would be awesome, but if I have to pay like 100 dollars more for it, then I can survive without it.
    The only variable speed 1 handed angle grinder I know of is Suhner (Swiss).

Suhner 111293 UWG 1-R125 4-1/2" / 5" Electric Angle Grinder: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ Thats nuts, you are getting hosed!

actually Seems about same in europe/uk for high powered 6" metabos.

5" ones and with lower power are cheaper than that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aliva View Post
    Walter some of the best tools made
    I believe some of the Walters are made by Matabo

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Whetstone View Post
    I believe some of the Walters are made by Matabo
    Hello Whetstone
    Yes. Don't know about now, but they were before. My Big 6 grinder has "Walter" on 1 side & "Metabo" on the other.