What's new
What's new

Any X-Definition Plasma Table Input

Huskerz

Aluminum
I've been looking at different options for CNC cutting sheet metal and Hypertherm X-Definition Plasma has come to my attention. They just debuted a new XPR170 at Fabtech I heard. Wondered if anyone here has any experience with this relatively new twist on high def plasma cutting?

I am most interested in cut quality (It needs to look "good" to an average person (I know very subjective) and I don't want to have to sand the back side of the sheet before I can use it). Also what is minimum hole diameter in say 18 ga CRS?

Is this technology only available on a table by Hypertherm or how are they being sold? I realize the table/software can play a huge part in the overall cut quality (it's not just the plasma cutter).

Thanks for any input.

Sound's like your gonna play "Lab Rat" and be the first.....:D
Make sure to report back here with the results.

What did Hypertherm say at the show ?

Samples of the thin sheetmetal that you want to cut ?

Dross on the back ?

This is just Hypertherms new version of the hpr-xd high def plasma line. It can be found being used on good quality plasma tables such as Koike, Messer, Hornet and many others. It is the top of the line plasma source on the market.

We have been talking to both Hypertherm and our table manufacturer on adding one of these power sources. We run Multicam tables and have a 3000 series that is pretty new but the cost to adapt that table to this technology doesn’t work out so we’re going to get a new Multicam. This power source works directly with the gas manifold, drive motors, and thc. I don’t think on 18 gauge crs you’ll get a perfect cut and you’ll still probably have a slightly visible dross. The dross will be a lot better than air plasma and a lot of hi def systems, especially on holes and curves where this power source will be designed for better ramp in and out than most. We are venturing over to the Hyperthem plant for a demo soon.

If cut quality on 18g is very important then maybe start looking into fiber laser. 16g 304 with nitrogen has a weld ready shiny bright edge. Often hard to tell top from bottom coming straight off the table. HAZ is microscopic. A 3/16 hole in 1/8 aluminum will often have the slug still in the hole. Not stuck by dross either. Pierce in center the kerf is so small slug does not always fall out. My 1000 watt laser cuts nice up to 3/8. Have not had opportunity to tweak it for 1/2 yet.Thicker than 1/8 is cut with Oxy assist gas.

its worth noting few bigger lasers run at anything like there stated power levels on a lot of material - gas - thickness combinations, this especially goes for steel being cut on oxygen. You can also laser cut thinner steel on air too, its commonly done on aluminum, but it can give you a pretty clean cut half way between oxy and nitrogen for a lot less cost on consumed gasses and the extra power it typically takes to cut on nitrogen. put simply with air or oxygen, you get the added heat of the burning metal and that impacts cut quality and cut speed - needed energy input.

Cut quality should be pretty dang good, i would expect nice sub 1/8" holes on 18 guage sheet laser or plasma, laser will happily pop 1/16" holes in 16 gauge materials and hold a +- low single digit thou toerances doing so, plasma will get you nearly that too if your motion control is good enough. Tolerances may vary a bit more with the plasma as the nozzels wear bigger, laser, especially cutting with nitrogen just don't do this as the nozzel simply never has the contact with the heat energy unlike a plasma nozzle than naturally has the plasma jet passing through it radiating a hell of a lot of thermal energy.

Hi def plasma rules for thicker stuff, really not sure what the cost of the smaller fibers will be as to how they compare to the cost of the plasma when the goal is this kinda thickness range. Have little doubt in time fiber lasers going to go after ever more of the plasma cutting market place.

Dross wise its really not going to be much even hypertherm air plasma leaves virtually nothing but a slide bead on materials at these thicknesses, if you use there fine cut consumables and can move the torch smooth and fast enough. My experience it rubs off with nothing more than dragging something else along the edge. You really need to get samples cut and price up options to make the decision as to what really works for you and your product.

That said, there's lots of contract cutting places out there, i don't run a profile cutter of any kind here as i can buy laser cut parts in so cheaply and my times better spent on making those parts into product than trying to save the grand or so i now seam to spend on profiles a month. My laser supplier buys steel by the lorry load, that gets you a level of pricing you just can't compete with buying even a couple of tons a time. trade off is lead time, but i seam to get a reliable 6 working days turn around with them and even if i had a profile cutter, here i would only get steel delivered twice a week by the local guys, hence really would not save much doing it my self.

Back