What's new
What's new

Anybody have experience with Victor Powder Spray Torch?

I suggest asking in the weldingweb and millerwelds forums too. There are folks with powder spray experience there but I don't recall the threads offhand.

spray torch

Came accross this item-
https://weldingsupply.securesites.c....gif:Victor+VPT-100+Powder+Build+Up+Torch+Kit
And wonder if anyone is familiar with it? I am currently welding up worn 1 1/2" shafts and this might be easier.
I went to Victor web site and all it has is their address.

i got one. it sprays nickel powder. worked ok for me. i don't use much. plasma sprays are better and faster but cost more. some porosity issues so pinholes occasionally are seen. depends on quality that you expect. faster than brush plating usually.
brush plating offers more control but still is usually ground to size. plating also does not cause a heat effected zone and is least likely to cause warpage
Custom Selective, Electroplating Technology: SIFCO Applied Surface Concepts
some welders insist they can tig weld metal and buildup size faster. others if shaft rotates use a mig welder to buildup metal

powder is kinda expensive but a little goes a long way. They have a range of hardness from I believe the 20's to the 60's. Pretty easy to do. It probably not the best approach for something that can be easily welded with electric means. Works great for cast iron as long as its on an edge. Also works ok for wear surfacing as long as it isnt a large area.

use to use one long time ago for cast . best method is to turn the area undersize and then mig weld in the lathe with the part rotating and then turn down to size. Had some problems with flaking with the powder too.

oxy/acetlyene powder spray torch wanted

Hi guys. I've been thinking of buying one of those Victor torch heads with the powder cup and trigger. It looks like they have stopped making them though. Does anybody have a used one for sale?

thanks
Pete

Came accross this item-
https://weldingsupply.securesites.c....gif:Victor+VPT-100+Powder+Build+Up+Torch+Kit
And wonder if anyone is familiar with it? I am currently welding up worn 1 1/2" shafts and this might be easier.
I went to Victor web site and all it has is their address.

I've done quite a bit of build up with a powder torch, it is however very much a low temp braze, ie mostly mechanical bond. However it works great in some applications.

IF you take the bronze based powders and proceed as follows it usually turns out nice looking... be aware however that you gain no real strength back in the part.

For shaft, turn it down so you will have at least a 1/32" build up...... or more. Thread or grit blast the area to build up.

1) Lightly flux build area with "black flux". Learned this from the Eutectic Castolin rep 30 years ago.
2) Overspray powder into flux, cover base metal completely with powder, don't fuse just yet.
3) Go back and flow out powder with slightly reducing flame, as soon as it wets you add more powder and continue to flow until you have the build you want.
4) Pits mean the area was either not clean, you didn't get a full build before flow out or you burned / oxidized the overlay.

That's it

Back