What's new
What's new

Anyone driving unipunches with an Ironworker?

pagoda

Aluminum
Looking to build a small uni punch fixture and wondering if I can do it on a piranha p50 or p65.
Piranha guys say it is being done but not "officially approved"

Im guessing the only issues would be setting up bottom height real carefully and some type of sliding plate for the ironworker to press on because it will not be a straight up and down action?

Seen it done?
Doing it?
got pics?

Thanks!

Before the automated punching machines came along we used uni tooling in several different punching operations.
We even fabricated some air ram frames to punch thin aluminum.
I can see absolutely no reason not to use in the tool cavity of a iron worker, just set stroke as needed.
There's tons of pictures online of old press brakes with uni tooling on them for multi punching.

Thats my thought other than Our Piranhas doth have a tool pocket in the center and the action is not 100% straight. It would go in the front punch station that would have just a slight pivot action. I think some type of sliding top plate? or something to reduce the small amount of friction..

ironworker.jpg

Ya, I agree the Piranhas are probably not the best iron worker to attempt this with.
Are you attempting to punch multiple holes at one stroke cycle?
Seen ton of them on old punch presses , last week there was a equipment auction close by , They sold 4 old punch units with the uni tools still set up in them for 40 bucks each.

yea multiple holes. typically 1/4" holes 2 or 4 at a time about 2" apart. Thats why I like the look of uni. I could make a small fixture plate with a grid pattern for the locating pins for flexibility. I have the tonage and daylight, just have to figure out the best way to make contact with the tops.

Yes, the Uni Tools do not like lateral movement across the top when punching, you would have to come up with some type of direct down force to the Uni tools. That's where these guys really shine in a punch press, press brake.
Maybe you could fab up a plate that the upper arm on your iron worker could slide on slightly and have the press plate pinned to prevent side movement so that it would stay ridged and only press directly down.
Some of the iron workers out there are doing this to some degree now in the tool cavities.
Take a look at the Uni Hydro iron workers center tool cavity for angle iron it is designed to allow some travel during the shear cycle.
Other brands do this as well.

Back