What's new
What's new

Anyone have any cut speed data on laser-cutting plywood?

The Dude

Hot Rolled
Everything I can find on the internet and this forum (in the wood working section) appears to be based on "cheap" and low-powered lasers (hobbyists, artwork, etc.). I'm trying to find some production data to evaluate laser cutting speed against industrial CNC router for up to 3/4" plywood. Has any one out there cut any plywood or OSB (1/2" or 3/4" nominal) on an industrial laser, with at least 1000 watts? If so, can you give me any kind of cut-speed data (IPM)?

Thanks,
The Dude

I have no answer. But metal melts and can be blown out of the cut zone with an assist gas. Nitrogen for thin metals, Oxy to help with thicker stuff. But wood has no melting point and very often survives fires in wood supported buildings. Not sure if an Oxy assist gas cutting wood would be helpful.

I cut 3/4 CDX and BCX on occasion with abrasive waterjet. My recollection, we cut it in the near 100IPM range, but I never tried to push it to see how fast it would go. Leaves a nice sanded like edge. Its great for making custom crates for equipment or for little home project type stuff. Made a really cool Jeep bed with a friend for his little boy and several home storage projects.

Over all it's probably pretty much a tie with a high speed production router. Just my opinion.
This however would be a great question for one or more of the many Laser manufacturers out there.
There tech guys are always more then happy to assist a potential customer.

Back