What's new
What's new

Anyone know the weight of a 110 Ton Komatsu flywheel?

The brochures all say about 23,000 lbs that thing must be huge! What are the dimensions?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The brochures all say about 23,000 lbs that thing must be huge! What are the dimensions?

It's not as big as the pictures make it look I think!
It's about 28" diameter, 9" deep and mostly hollow on the inside.

The boss did some quick math and came up with around 1100 pounds so the decision was made that out forklift could handle it and they took it off.
I was told to "ask on that magical website where you ask your questions" lol

If/when Komatsu gets back to me I'll post the answer.

Thanks for looking into it with us.

Attachments

• IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 135
So heres the problem your boss solved for presumeably:
A cubic inch piece of steel weighs .283 lbs.
If you factor the volume of a cylinder at 29" by 9" as you said it would take up 5,944.68". But it looks like there is quite a bit of volume removed, so for simplicity we find the volume of about 23" instead. That volume is 3739.28".
So we subtract the 5944.68 from the 3739.28 and we get a hollow about 3" radius of steel with a outside diameter of 29" that has a volume of 2205.4". We multiply that volume by our cubic"/lb and you get about 624 lbs. Factoring in that there is webbing all the way to the center and the center is solid, it is possible.

I say this because its interesting to me and im as curious as you. I cant wait to hear the answer. Originally i would have guessed far lighter, lime the 100 pound range. Let us know!

He figured it as a solid mass for safety just to see if our forklift could do it, 1100 would have been worst case. They did put it on our scale. I'll get the exact number in a few since people are doing the math and trying to get it :)

Ah yes! I hadnt considered cast but youre probably right. I felt like it may have been turned, but a closer examination does look like it could have been cast

I used antiquecollector's rim of 2205 cubic inches and guessed at web and hub. I suppose since it IS a flywheel that there is not a large number of good sized belt grooves which would affect rim weight

Back