What's new
What's new

Is anyone running the Tec tig torches- if so where are you finding consumables?

Trboatworks

Diamond
I have the Tec 428 torch on my welder but can’t find the consumables for it with online search.
Anyone running this gear ?
Where are you getting the torch parts?

Thanks all

Is there a good reason to not bin it, in favor of a torch you can actually find consumables for about everywhere?

I did find this http://www.tectorch.com/Tec Tig Torches/tec_428_parts_sheet.pdf <shrug> I'd dump it in favor of something that I can get parts for.

It really does look a lot like the "Gillette Plan", where the razors are near free but the blades will cost you forever...

Well just the long sad story with the welder.
I have gone through two new bought flex head lower amp torches for the welder thinking I was buying my way into tig welding.
As it turns out the Tec 428 is a fine heavy torch head and I should have just run with it from the beginning and I am now reluctant to buy yet another setup.

Years ago the first time I had ever picked up a tig torch I laid this down with the old Tec:

Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 6.08.52 AM.jpg

Nostalgia is no damn way to run a railroad but here I am...

I will call Weldtec and ask them where the hell working stiffs are supposed to buy consumables for their gear.

This is for an older Hobart Tigwave.
Nice damn box by the way- I love the hum that thing puts out when she shoulders down to lay a big weld in aluminum.
You can just hear its right and get to it.

Don't be too surprised if the number isn't theirs any more, as that .pdf dates back at least to 2014.

But, good luck!

I sorta planned around using only one type of consumables, I have a WP9 air cooled torch and a WP20 water cooled, that share the same stuff between them. But I don't run high amps.

cant you get it direct from Tec? TEC Welding Products Inc.

I have always been lucky to have a good welding supply company, and I can always get consumables, rod, and supplies locally, in stock, for all my equipment. But I go thru new tig torches about once every 5 years or so- we just use em up. I tend to make a point of buying what my local store supports, too, so I currently am running 4 CK brand torches. I have been using CK for close to 40 years now, and they make a whole range of sizes, types and ampacities, so I have water cooled, air cooled, 150 to 300 amps in my stable.

Ok- I got to the bottom of this.
I called Tec about this "old torch" I have and where I might find consumables.

I quickly learned that the 428 is current production and in fact the best seller and flagship of the line of torches they make.
But- I was freely told I won't find consumables anywhere on the shelf from suppliers.
Direct sales are not available from Tec and I was given a couple outfits to call which will bring in from Tec fill the order for anything I might need.
Not a problem and I will get the things I need ordered.

So I have it sorted out.
Thanks guys.

Ok- I got to the bottom of this.
I called Tec about this "old torch" I have and where I might find consumables.

I quickly learned that the 428 is current production and in fact the best seller and flagship of the line of torches they make.
But- I was freely told I won't find consumables anywhere on the shelf from suppliers.
Direct sales are not available from Tec and I was given a couple outfits to call which will bring in from Tec fill the order for anything I might need.
Not a problem and I will get the things I need ordered.

So I have it sorted out.
Thanks guys.

Sorta like you said that Nostalgia is no way to run a railway, that seems like no way to run a business, if they don't sell direct and don't have the stuff on the shelf in retailers locations....

Hope they don't hooper you too badly at the place that actually does order the stuff in for you!

Yeah- the impression I got was that suppliers don’t stock due to lack of demand not a business strategy on the part of Tec.
This is a nice torch but uses different components.
Not a thing from the other tig gear in the shop works with it.

This was an interesting thread,

I have a Speedway torch and have bought consumables from several on-line suppliers. They use standard consumables, never knew that some TEC torches used proprietary consumables. I have a CK torch as well as a back up but, I really like the TEC torches. Everyone has preferences, what makes the #428 your fav Trboat? I get the durability, all the Weldtec torches seem to be very well made. Is there something with the design of the special parts that stand out?

Steve

This was an interesting thread,

I have a Speedway torch and have bought consumables from several on-line suppliers. They use standard consumables, never knew that some TEC torches used proprietary consumables. I have a CK torch as well as a back up but, I really like the TEC torches. Everyone has preferences, what makes the #428 your fav Trboat? I get the durability, all the Weldtec torches seem to be very well made. Is there something with the design of the special parts that stand out?

Steve

Steve- sorry for the delay.
It took me a while to notice your question then get out to shop and try to see what is floating my boat on this torch.

I guess at heart this Tec 428 is just a really nicely made heavy tig torch.
We all know tools- it’s pretty obvious when we get our hands on good quality kit.
Something about the 428- it’s not fancy at all- just simply and well built.
It might be any 350 amp torch will give the same impression compared to the lighter Weldtec gear I have.
One thing that is different that I like is the lack of o-ring I the caps- they seal on a brass taper and saves me looking at the typical shredded o-rings.
I also like the larger collets- it is not like the others give me any problem its just nicer to have larger parts to mess with.
I also like a non threaded nozzle setup- simple to knock off a hot one which has gotten contaminated and keep on rolling.

Maybe it's just that I am starting to do much more aluminum welding and this is just a far better setup for cranking it out for AL.

The two torches for the Hobart- I guess if I have a bunch of smaller stainless to do I will switch out to the 20f flex head torch.

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 5.20.54 PM.jpg

Or I might not- I can choke up on the tec for lower amperage stuff and save changing out the gear all the time.

Thanks TR,

I have an XMT 450 MPa for heavy aluminum, it is not tig but, it pours out the aluminum! I agree the weld tec torches in general are much higher quality than the other brands that I am aware of. My Dynasty 300 is a great welder for thinner material 1/2" and up aluminum is not its strong suit.

Steve

Back