What's new
What's new

Anyone using Lightburn software for marking?

Garwood

Diamond
I have a bigger-ish size 100w c02 China laser I use for marking parts. It uses some Chinese coreldraw-ish software and nothing else works with it.

I can get it to do what I want most of the time, but there's a lot of quirks and stupid shit that could be better. Sometimes it will frustrate the hell out of me trying to accomplish something simple.

In the interest of ease of use and efficiency I'd like to find the simplest path to a solid user interface.

The Lightburn software seems like the go-to stuff for this. Lightburn does not support the Puhan controller in my laser. I have no problem changing out the controller to something else like the Cohesion3d controller.

Just wanted to hear if anyone has gone down this path and what the pro's/cons were.

I've used a 60-watt good quality import laser to mark aluminum and brass that have been coated with a Ceramark-like material and it has worked just fine for the couple of attempts that I made. The sample below took about 3 minutes to engrave. Lightburn has a 30-day free trial and an active forum, though members there are mostly using low end diode lasers and similar devices. There some folks that offer very good advice there, though. Ruida seems to be a popular controller maker for the "higher" end import lasers so you might want to consider that brand. Some marking compound sellers include LaserBond and Enduramark

.5914 GC+BW-95PC.jpg

Last edited:
I've used a 60-watt good quality import laser to mark aluminum and brass that have been coated with a Ceramark-like material and it has worked just fine for the couple of attempts that I made. The sample below took about 3 minutes to engrave. Lightburn has a 30-day free trial and an active forum, though members there are mostly using low end diode lasers and similar devices. There some folks that offer very good advice there, though. Ruida seems to be a popular controller maker for the "higher" end import lasers so you might want to consider that brand. Some marking compound sellers include LaserBond and Enduramark

.View attachment 295080

I know how to mark things. I'm asking if anyone here is using the US made Lightburn software.

I switched from the laser supplied software to Lightburn. My controller supports it though. I will not be going back. It is also more supportive to different formats for bringing images in to mark. If you can get a controller that supports Lightbur, do it.

Paul

Thanks gentleman!

Cohesion3d says their controller won't play nice with my dual head laser. It will only fire one laser power supply. It also seems to lack basic features like jog.

Cohesion3d recommends I buy a new Ruida Controller which will drop into my laser, control both cutting heads fine and work with Lightburn. Basicly same controller I have, but Lightburn has hacked the Ruida stuff.

However, I can't get an answer from Lightburn if their software will control both laser heads.

Guys with Lightburn- Does your software have an option anywhere for dual laser head power settings? Even if it's just on/off that's fine.

It's only $300 for the Ruida controller, but if I lose the dual head functionality with Lightburn that's not so great.

Back