What's new
What's new

Approach question for shop made 1/4 20 ratcheting levers (like a kipping lever)

helmbelly

Aluminum
I'm a prototyper who needs to make a ratcheting finger lever that that will attach to a 1/4" bolt, either a brass hex head bolt or socket cap screw. I plan to use delrin. The lever will torque down a two jawed clamp onto a 1" alum pipe.- it has to be easily re-positioned by hand. The part locks down with one 2" socket head cap screw and (currently) one kipping lever. Once you get them both tight - just using the kip lever permits the adjustment needed to re-position. I think I have exhausted the ready made market, been making similar things for a few years and can never get the ratcheting lever I want - so I just want to start making them.

Has anyone done this and might can point me to workable approach? I'm a small shop, Rockwell mill, 9" lathe, I'm pretty solidly tooled up for manual machining.

My approach so far is just pin the bolt head in with a roller pin.

Anyone seen parts purpose built to accomplish this with less brute force- more elegance? Some kind of press fit?

The lever does have to land within say 10am and 2pm when tightened down. I don't know how to do that. I've taken Kipping levers apart and there are cast gears I can't come close to making. I was thinking of a spring and a "push down" to operate by pushing down to over come spring and engage the hex head, that way I can return to 'noon' dead center position. But that all sounds fiddly. I'd like to plan the thread engagement and file away the lead thread. Torque it down see where it lands and then adjust the thread with a diamond file so it hits near noon o clock- or am I losing it?

Was also thinking of making a part that slips over an existing kip lever so I can steal its function while adding the shape I need- but after I pay $10 per kip lever the thrill is kinda gone

thanks for reading,

Better tell us what a kipping lever actually is. Youtube shows some kind of fitness maneuver. Pics would be better yet.

Better tell us what a kipping lever actually is. Youtube shows some kind of fitness maneuver. Pics would be better yet.

Kipper lever? Sounds fishy to me. But Smoked Kippers and eggs makes a good New Years breakfast.
Kipp handle, Kipp company, Monroe Engineering. I buy thousands every few months. They are made with threaded shafts, and threaded sockets. They have a ton of flavors. They should have something you need.

Oh man yes, it's hard to find Finnan Haddie and eggs these days. Right up there with real corned beef hash. I see MA there, there is a neighborhood dive in Holyoke that has the best hash I ever tasted. Can't remember name. Portugese hole in wall.

Ok Kipp, but no they don't have what I'm after. Need something that doesn't hurt the hand which all of them do. Well all the little ones. The 2" ers. But also want something more shaped into the part itself not sticking out like stork's neck. I know what you mean by the threaded shaft but the socket? Can't quite picture what you mean- the very top inside of the assembly is geared. The spring keeps it engaged until overcome by hand.

Back