Attaching 3/32 Stainless Tube to #55 HSS Drill; Will Spot-Welding Work?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Attaching 3/32 Stainless Tube to #55 HSS Drill; Will Spot-Welding Work?

Hello,
    We're trying to get a "simple" solution to attaching a 3/32 O.D 0.02 wall x 0.7" length 302 hard stainless ferrule (hypo tubing) onto a #55 HSS drill. This ferrule has about 0.002" clearance with the drill and fits the full length of ferrule flush on the drill end; there is approx 1/8" on the ferrule end (the end toward the drill tip) that can be distorted from a joining operation. The only requirement is to fix the ferrule onto the shaft with a reasonable force, and not have a crude appearance.

We have been joining these with loctite 609 and primer (hint, if joining stainless to HSS with loctite anaerobic adhesives, primer is absolutely required--regardless of the instructions indicating primer may not be required), which works well but is rather labor-intensive and messy (requires syringe dispensing, drying, curing in oven, cleaning excess material etc). We're looking for a **simpler** process that may be done with inexpensive equipment; crimping has been problematic with the hard stainless and small diameter tube onto the smooth drill shanks. I was wondering if spot-welding would work on this configuration (for example spot-welding on the end of the ferrule (the end facing the drill tip)). We're making 200-300 of these per month. Thanks very much for any input and your time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

50/50 on spot welding... those materials might not play well together.
    Silver brazing might be your best bet. With induction heating and good fixturing it would be easy enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Plasma, I'm familiar with brazing, preforms, pastes etc, but that's more complicated than the loctite with the quantities we need, but i appreciate the feedback on the spot-welding. Maybe we should just anneal the ferrules, would probably crimp fine then, will try that also.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you want to "butt flash weld", not "spot weld" so much.

TJ Snow in nearby Tennessee should be able to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen the exact thing done with a small induction welding system and it looked great. The guy scored the unit on the cheap on E-bay. It looked pretty easy and fast, but that could be due to the fact the guy had the process dialed in. Personally I can barely sweat copper pipe and make a bead with a 3/8" arc welding stick so I can only report on what I saw, not what I have done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would setup a simple fixture and furnace braze these in batches. This will be much faster than your Loctite process.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gentlemen, thanks very much for the suggestions. Cheers

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Solder rather than weld

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaOnTheBrain View Post
    50/50 on spot welding... those materials might not play well together.
    Silver brazing might be your best bet. With induction heating and good fixturing it would be easy enough.
    Would soft solder 60-40 360 deg. be worth a try over resistance welding. The metallurgy in the high speed steel drill does not lend itself to spot welding temperatures. Think silver solder would also be worth it over welding.

Roger

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've done that with a Laser Star laser welder, a few years ago so I don't remember the settings but got good results making a extension drill prototype for medical use. shops that cater to medical work should be able to help.

Good Luck