Auto Darkening Welding Helmet - USA Made - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a Speed Glass with the two side-shades, these are fixed but you see more of the world than just thru the rectangle. I like that a lot, plus it has a very comfortable headgear.

The old helmets come in handy when teaching. I have my son and daughter into the shop regularly for some trial welding practice and having the extra shades standby is very helpful so everyone can watch

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't believe there are any auto welding helmets made in the good ole USA. I do a lot of welding and for the money you won't beat those Harbor Freight variable shade jobs especially when on sale. Also, there is no such thing as getting flashed by these cheaper helmets. They all seem to have about a 5 shade in the off state. I've also had 2 speedglas helmets, 2 jacksons, a miller, and a hobart (still works).
    Been welding for money for 32 years and it sucks to get old, ok.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’m trying to find a non-china helmet. Anything but china. It will be my first autodark. Can someone please recommend something? Something my wife and I both can use. She’s new to welding. Obviously it’s for home use, and will be used infrequently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did some research a few years ago and at that time most of the auto darkening lenses were actually being made in Switzerland. Even the Chinese were importing them from Switzerland. In today's world there are few things made in just one country. As a consumer you don't have a clue. Just because there is a sticker doesn't make it true. It isn't about the lens anyway. It's about the electronics and sensors. Don't buy cheap, your eyes are worth quality. Buy the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does anybody weld outside ? Sounds like all the new helmets are better than older ones but the Miller option of X mode for use outside is awesome . Thinking of getting a newer clear view helmet but want the option of not having the sun trigger my helmet. Does any other manufacturers offer x mode or equilivant ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Moser View Post
    Does anybody weld outside ? Sounds like all the new helmets are better than older ones but the Miller option of X mode for use outside is awesome . Thinking of getting a newer clear view helmet but want the option of not having the sun trigger my helmet. Does any other manufacturers offer x mode or equilivant ?
    Buy a pancake that will fix it.

7. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 3in1 View Post
    What about these AD helmets that don't require batteries or have a solar battery? Do those work ok on a dark day or inside a shop?

Thanks
    They have a rechargeable battery inside.
    Keep them hanging in a bright place to keep them working, or the batteries discharge and need to be replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had a Optrel satellite for many years.

GREAT auto helmet till the non-replaceable batteries died a couple of weeks back.

I did the well published hack and hacked an opening in the module shell where the batteries are and replaced them.
    Now I am good to go but find it a little bizarre that the design is disposable and you toss a $350 helmet when eight bucks worth of coin cells die..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 3in1 View Post
    What about these AD helmets that don't require batteries or have a solar battery? Do those work ok on a dark day or inside a shop?

Thanks

I have an Optrel E684 . It is solar powered. Never had an issue with it in our school's shop, which is not very bright but not soo dark that you can't read a paper.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So you want the sensors and electronic components like Capacitors, Resistors, Diodes, and IC chips (You know, the important stuff that makes it go from light to dark very quickly so as not to damage your eyes) to also NOT be made in China? I'd say even the most expensive "USA assembled" helmets have electronic components in them that come from China if not the entire circuit board.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by roys101 View Post
    I’m trying to find a non-china helmet. Anything but china. It will be my first autodark. Can someone please recommend something? Something my wife and I both can use. She’s new to welding. Obviously it’s for home use, and will be used infrequently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sprung for the Optrel Crystal 2.0 with air supply and also the corresponding grinding shield that fits the air pack.
    I was tired of the black monsters I coughed up even in a "well ventilated area"
    Weld puddle appearance is closer to some of the welding videos, which was one of the reasons I purchased it.
    Older eyes and lungs
    It has replaceable batteries
    Grinding shield was the icing on the cake
    Price is high , but mid summer I needed a pick me up purchase
    I'd buy another

13. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mjk View Post
    I sprung for the Optrel Crystal 2.0 with air supply and also the corresponding grinding shield that fits the air pack.
    I was tired of the black monsters I coughed up even in a "well ventilated area"
    Weld puddle appearance is closer to some of the welding videos, which was one of the reasons I purchased it.
    Older eyes and lungs
    It has replaceable batteries
    Grinding shield was the icing on the cake
    Price is high , but mid summer I needed a pick me up purchase
    I'd buy another
    This ^ I bought the 2.0 and have used it for a few months. I just don't trust the electronics from china.
    On the plus side I liked a post in this thread from 2012..I feel younger now

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oxymoron. De electronics is from China.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycle1000 View Post
    I just don't trust the electronics from china.