What's new
What's new

Auto-feed cold saw question

The Dude

Hot Rolled
Got an OEM client who uses mostly 1.5" steel tubing (around 14 or 12 GA wall), currently cut with a horizontal band saw. Trying to get them to an auto-feed cold saw (better cut quality and labor utilization). They would like to purchase used, something I'm not always a fan of but would probably be better than a cheap-o China machine. They mostly cut in 4" increments from about 16" to about 80" long. They do also cut 7/8" allthread and some thicker 1" tubing (shorter lengths). Questions:

1. What are some of the better brands and systems for autofeed? The only type I'm familiar with are "clamp & stroke" feed but there appear to be varying feed increments, correct? I wouldn't want it to feed a maximum of 10" or so on a stroke, should maybe be up to 24-30"? The operator will "smash and punch" one end of each tube (along with a few other things) as it comes off so I can't have the cycle time be too long.
2. Is there an aftermarket autofeed that can be adapted to a semi-auto cold saw (where the cutting process is already automated).
3. Are there any brands/models to stay away from because they are obsolete and/or poor support?

I don't have a lot of experience with cold saws but did help another OEM client "rebuild" (more like minimal repair) of an Italian brand that was already in poor shape, had a long stroke feed but had only been used for short strokes with poor (wet) air. The feed cylinder bore was rusted and we epoxied and honed it and it's been run almost non-stop for about 10 years so, overall, I'm getting an impression that older cold saws aren't as much of an issue as older CNC's. It has a PLC so it would be easy to repair/upgrade the controls.

Thanks,
The Dude

I am pleased with my Kalamazoo after 25 years. It has a max single stroke cut of 17 inches, but can do multiple strokes for one cut, so it can cut longer than that. The counter died years ago, but i never used it anyway. There are newer CNC saws, but that runs into the old CNC issue.

tiger stop on a Scotchman with centering vice. You will not find faster with versatility. The centering vise makes mitering math easy. The tiger stop is just fast (1900 ipm positioning) and accurate. It feeds the material while holding it, the idea of moving metal to a stop is so 2000 and late (chips, binding, lifting cut part, stuff and things). 1.5 x .120 square is 20-30 seconds for position and clamp and cut (chip to chip in machine speak) on 3' length.

Back