What's new
What's new

Baileigh TN-800 Tube Notcher

I played with one at a trade show and thought it was awesome. Best feature is that you are using a 1" roughing end mill and traversing it on an arc to cut larger tubing so you have a lot less cutting pressure than a full radius cutter, thus no chatter or grabbing. Way too much $ for me though, it must be aimed at NASCAR frame shops. For $7500 I could buy a half dozen old mills or lathes and use them for notching.

I played with one at a trade show and thought it was awesome. Best feature is that you are using a 1" roughing end mill and traversing it on an arc to cut larger tubing so you have a lot less cutting pressure than a full radius cutter, thus no chatter or grabbing. Way too much $ for me though, it must be aimed at NASCAR frame shops. For $7500 I could buy a half dozen old mills or lathes and use them for notching.

I replaced the tool post on an old 16" with a block/clamp for roll cage tubing. Easy to set the angle. Mill cutter in the chuck. run it in back gear. cuts like butter. Big south bends can be had for as little as 300.00......makes a cheap notcher.

Demo'd one a few times, it's great, but it just never justified it's cost for us, if you were doing 100's/1000's of notches the same angle in a production run, then I'd take one in a heartbeat.

Another option

Speedie,

Here is a nice Dutch version of the Chinese knockoff.

Sadly, I can probably buy three from the guys in China for what one Dutch machine will cost... maybe I'm stretching that though?:D

Pipe notchers

The Almi machine has a die that cuts a vent for hot dip that is very appealing.

Buy some good belts for one of the bigger machines (jancy) , go to McMaster or where ever and get a 5hp motor, order some steel and fire up your mill and lathe. Build your own. Very easy to build, be sure to crown your rollers so the belt tracks. I used a old surface grinder table and built the rest. Went direct drive using some urathane coated wheels for the drive. Total cost under $800. We coped thousands of copes with it. Built it so I could do offsets and angles. We could do a square cope on 1-1/4" sch40 pipe in about 10 seconds. The material being removed looked like steel wool. Best investment in machines I made (other then a free radial arm drill). I looked at Jancy and Grit and just could not justify spending 6+K on something so simple. Just a thought .

Buy some good belts for one of the bigger machines (jancy) , go to McMaster or where ever and get a 5hp motor, order some steel and fire up your mill and lathe. Build your own. Very easy to build, Total cost under $800. We coped thousands of copes with it. Built it so I could do offsets and angles. We could do a square cope on 1-1/4" sch40 pipe in about 10 seconds. I looked at Jancy and Grit and just could not justify spending 6+K on something so simple. Just a thought .

Heck,
the vise and slide look like a cross slide table from "dare I say" H.F. ?

An improvement would be the Enco $200 drill table.

Either way I agree, yup their overpriced.

For $7500 I could buy a half dozen old mills or lathes and use them for notching.

if you were doing 100's/1000's of notches the same angle in a production run...

If the notching was done while the pipe was straight, I think $7500 would put a 4th axis on a CNC plasma cutter.

Before a shop would spend that much on a notcher, I suspect a CNC plasma cutter would be in-house.

Back