What's new
What's new

Bending 303 stainless for U bolts

Perk

Cast Iron
I'm making some extra long U bolts for a guy out of 7/16 303 stainless. I need some advise as to how to make the bend. Hot? Cold? The inside span is 2 1/2" I was thinking about bending around some 2 1/2" tubing.....hot, while containing one side with a flush loop welded to the tubing? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You

I used to get a regular job on making U bolts and J bolts from Mild Steel as well as 316 Stainless. Diameters ran from 1/2" to 3/4". I also bent around a pipe with a tab to hold the fixed leg. I had to use heat because without it the free leg would not come out straight. But, there was trimming involved as well as a finishing operation to remove the heat induced surface damage.

After doing it this way for several months I found a better and less expensive way. - East coast Metal
Call here and ask for Bill. Don't try to use their web contact. Prices are fair but there are a few hurdles. They are about 2-3 weeks out on deliveries most of the time. When I last purchased from them they do not take credit cards but will ship UPS collect.

They do very good, consistent work.

Now, if you only have one or two but are hesitant in doing them yourself try to find someone who makes springs. They usually have the correct equipment.

Walter

Places that do spring and axle repair on medium and heavy trucks usually have the equipment to make u bolts.

Back