What's new
What's new

Bending brake disassembly/reassembly?

JasonPAtkins

Hot Rolled
Does anyone have any experience with taking a bending brake apart? I'm looking for an 8' apron brake (~16ga) to ship as part of a C container to West Africa, and it takes up a lot of space, but a lot of it is air space. I think taking apart a stomp shear ends up creating a lot of fiddly work getting it all back into alignment, but would reassembling an apron brake (with a gantry handy for lifting) be any great wizardry?

Thanks!

Does anyone have any experience with taking a bending brake apart? I'm looking for an 8' apron brake (~16ga) to ship as part of a C container to West Africa, and it takes up a lot of space, but a lot of it is air space. I think taking apart a stomp shear ends up creating a lot of fiddly work getting it all back into alignment, but would reassembling an apron brake (with a gantry handy for lifting) be any great wizardry?

Thanks!

I've taken one apart enough to replace bushings. Methinks your only worthwhile space savings are to remove the counterweight arms and maybe the legs. Most else is reasonably dense.

If you do end up taking it further apart (maybe the leaf gets removed, I can't see taking off the top apron helping), it's not incredibly hard to realign everything, and knowing how to do all of the aligning is instrumental in getting accuracy out of one, even if it hadn't been disassembled, so you're not exactly hurting yourself by learning to realign everything.

Back