What's new
What's new

Best alloy of aluminum tube for forming

ConstantWave

Aluminum
I need some aluminum tubing of about 1 inch OD (not critical)and about 1/8" wall thickness (also not critical) that can withstand having the ends smashed shut for welding onto an aluminum angle frame. The frame is made from 5052 sheet that is readily available but none of my normal suppliers seem to have anything but 6061 in tubing that size. We did this job in the past with 6061 and the results were far to much cracking in the smashed area. Any material ideas or suppliers welcome. Not my design or I could eliminate the flat ends.

You could anneal/overage the ends with a torch and smash them flat. The welding operation will bring the material out of the T6 condition anyway, but it's going to be impractical as the quantities increase. If you are ordering a bunch of material, try Yarde Metals . 6063 would work well also. You aren't using 4043 to weld this, right?

Thanks brianweldor. This job is cut and bend only for a local weld shop so I am not sure how he is welding it but he is generally competent. I will try annealing since quantities this time are low.

We addressed that same set of problems several years ago.

Tried every kind of tube we could find warehoused.

Bought 3/4" aluminum RIGID CONDUIT at electrical supply house.

Problem solved

Back