What's new
What's new

Best gas for MIG welding

Not sure what you mean by 'share'. The most economical shield gas for welding ordinary steel is CO2, and most commercial 'ornamental iron' and fab shops use it. You can improve the weld characteristics by using an argon/CO2 mix, but that gets expensive if you weld much.

So then, 'best' depends on what you need and how much you are willing to pay.

C02 cheaper but need high deoxidizer wire and you get more penetration and or hotter weld and some more splatter
75% argon 25% C02 gives less penetration, less splatter, more expensive but better for thinner sheet metal
there is no one gas best for everything. depends on what you are welding

I'm also new to mig welding. Are you welding carbon steel?
I use solid carbon steel wire with CO2. You can also use it with a mixture of 75% CO2 and 25% argon. Are you welding sheet metal?

20 years ago I had a problem getting consistent results from a converter welder. Ed Craig helped me and I bought one of his books. It just surprised me that he changed to Emily Craig in his 70's. I would still consult him if I had a welding problem and appreciate his help in the past.

20 years ago I had a problem getting consistent results from a converter welder. Ed Craig helped me and I bought one of his books. It just surprised me that she changed to Emily Craig in her 70's. I would still consult her if I had a welding problem and appreciate his help in the past.

Fixed it for ya, I think? Not how pronouns referring to the past work.
Is anyone on good terms with HR?

Back