What's new
What's new

best plasma cutters out there?

anchorman

Titanium
I was looking for a new plasma cutter for my shop at work, and last year settled upon a Hypertherm. they were supposed to hold up well and also have cheaper consumables than the rest.
We finally might have the money in the budget to buy one, so I am out looking stuff up again in order to find the best machine I can.

What are y'alls opinions about these. (hypertherm and others)

We need a unit that can stand up to the abuse of students in a university sculpture studio. I try to instill good work practices and also put the fear of god in them as best I can about not breaking stuff, but as they say, $hit happens. So i need something sturdy and inexpensive on the consumables/repair parts front.

thanks in advance,

jon

3/4 mild steel max is my guess. most of the time would be cutting 12 ga sheet or so.

From my previous research last year or the year before (can't remember exactly when), hypertherm were the hands down favorite. Just wanted to check if any of yous had any new developements in this field.

Anchorman,

Nothing has changed
Get in gear and go buy yourself a Hypertherm and you'll be thanking us.

Tom

Powermax 600 would be pushing it. It will do 3/4" just not fast or pretty.

Next step up is a Pmx 1000. Good machine...

I have a Hypertherm PowerMax 1000 and I love it. IMO it is over rated on it's cut capacity though. I specifically bought it to cut 3/4" plate, and it will cut it, but it isn't pretty. I run the fine cut consumables for thinner material, and these make a much nicer cut than their drag cut, shielded consumables. I have had it just over a year now, and in the first couple of months I had torch problems with it. Hypertherm Tech support was very good with me, and eventually replaced the torch. Overall it is a very good machine.

We've got a Powermax 1000 in a very similar shop to what you're talking about - in the College of Design, Art, Architecture, and Planning at the University of Cincinnati. To help with consumable costs here the students have to buy the consumable parts themselves so there's some incentive to learning how to cut properly. We do the same thing with the two TIG machines, make them buy the electrodes themselves.

Back