What's new
What's new

Best source for bar grate stair treads? Make or buy.

jamscal

Stainless
Got a project coming up that will require a lot of industrial stairs.

Does anyone have source for these or are they more of a commodity item?

Online search has the same part # on a ton of sites including amazon but say they are drop ship from mfg.

Bar grate, bolt on end caps, and treadplate nose is what I'm after.

We could make them in the shop and I can run the #'s but if anyone has a source I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Got a project coming up that will require a lot of industrial stairs.

Does anyone have source for these or are they more of a commodity item?

Online search has the same part # on a ton of sites including amazon but say they are drop ship from mfg.

Bar grate, bolt on end caps, and treadplate nose is what I'm after.

We could make them in the shop and I can run the #'s but if anyone has a source I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

"It's an INDUSTRY". Try a google on "metal bar grating stair treads" and get nearly 2 million returns, "the usual suspects" as distributors Grainger/Zoro as well as what you mentioned - to the major OEM's - or so they all claim to be!

So yeah. Just "drill down", "commodity" but not just restricted to stock sizes. Order whatever type, material, dimensions you need. I doubt it worthwhile to try to compete if you are honest about your overheads. Not to mention liability where human traffic is involved.

We have bought from Brown-Campbell and from McNichols .

Both have broad product lines and multiple locations.

Thanks,

Brown-Campbell has listed prices significantly cheaper than the online resellers I came across earlier, so that's what I was looking for! Plus volume discounts which I can use. ($41 and lower vs $60 each for comparables)

I've bought stuff from McNichols before, but I've always regarded them as high quality and high price. Won't hurt to get a quote though.

Thanks to all who replied.

Making them in house is nuts compared to what we buy them for. I have 2 suppliers in my area. One being direct metals the other being Mcnichols. Picked up an order from Mcnichols on Thursday actually. For me it seems like it's a volatile market price wise. Mcnichols might be crazy high on one item(more than double), and then they'll be 20% cheaper on something else.

Back