What's new
What's new

Best Tig rod for A2,S7 and D2 Mat.

ToolDie310

Plastic
We have a trim block that we have been making with a vertical cutting edge . We have made it out of all 3 material. We normal us a 72,74 or 1216 rod to repair trim edge. After several hundred stroke it starts breaking down. Looking for something new to try.

Maybe 1215?

The the ones you listed are for H12, S7, and M2. None really ideal for a trim blade IMO. (Thinking of die cast aluminum parts here - if you are doing some kind of hot work that may be different)

Tool Steels

We do metal stamping . This is a tool steel block. The material type that we are trimming is 251-540p

It was clear what your were welding on, just not what the die was intended to be used for.

I'd still try the 1215.

1216 is the same as high speed steel cutting tools, and probably too brittle. The others wont have as good of wear resistance.

Weld repairs often wont last near as long as a new block no matter what.

I agree on new block but those add up on cost over time lol. The vertical trim is what's getting us it just builds up and starts chipping the block then part starts cracking.

Every time you weld on them it pulls the carbon it just gets worse every time you work on them but it gets a guy out of a jam until details can be built
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with looking at changing the tool design.

ya id be looking at the knife blade design. or a better lubricant.

Change the design so the blade can be a solid or screwed to a blade holder. I'm a diemaker, die designer in stamping dies; I'm not a welder. I taught tool and diemakers for several years in another life. Welding tool-steel can be done if the proper heat-treat is applied after welding. But welding tool steel should be avoided where ever possible. Otherwise the problems your having with the tool can continue to exist. A picture of your tooling would be helpful.

Roger

Every time you weld with welding rod it pulls the carbon it just gets worse every time you work on them but it gets a guy out of a jam until details can be built

Back