Best way to bend this bracket (hand brake?)
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Best way to bend this bracket (hand brake?)

I have a bracket I'll be making a few of. I don't have that much sheet metal equipment in house. My only brake is an 8'x14ga Dreis & Krump hand brake.

The basic model is pretty simple, and I can do it on my brake. All the bends line up, etc. I've attached a sketch of the profile.

For the more complex model, there are some areas where I need to not bend the metal up. Normally I'd say press brake with dogleg tooling, but it looks like it would take a pretty big dogleg to get around the interference.

The part of my brake that swings up has a removable metal insert (unfortunately it's all one piece). If I build/buy a new, sectional insert, it wouldn't bend up in the section where the insert isn't. I've never seen a brake work this way, so I'm not sure if it's feasible. Every time I've seen a hand brake with sectional tooling, it's a pan brake, and the sectional parts are on the top, clamping section, not the swinging part.

Apologies for the complete butchering of correct brake terminology.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sheet-metal-base-sketch.jpg   quick-sheet-metal-part.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What you're talking about doing with a sectional insert in the apron is do-able, here is an example of a commercially available piece that has that as well as a bed with fingers:

48" Ultimate Box & Pan Brake by Mittler Bros.

3. Likes NVelho, digger doug, DanielG liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would use a press brake with segmented tooling on the more complex model. The other job is good to go without the gooseneck die.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Graham, thanks for the Mittler link. I have never seen an apron brake with a segmented apron before.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Gott View Post
    What you're talking about doing with a sectional insert in the apron is do-able, here is an example of a commercially available piece that has that as well as a bed with fingers:

48" Ultimate Box & Pan Brake by Mittler Bros.
    Thanks.

I spoke with Dreis & Krump, and they still sell the apron inserts for this brake. They're quoting me some sectional inserts. He said that era of brake (1942) was made with case hardened high-carbon steel inserts.

Are there any other companies that I should look at that would sell apron inserts?

If I need to make my own, is 4140PH a good choice? These aren't for long-run production work, so longevity isn't as big an issue.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know that another company would make something to fit your Chicago brake.

I've made a fair bit of custom tooling for my finger brake from 1018 CR mild steel, and it works fine, though I mainly work in aluminum. I bet 4140PH apron inserts would last nearly forever if you're working with mild steel or aluminum.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any press brake with a small punch die will make those bends. You just have to do 1, 4, 3, 2.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk