What's new
What's new

Bobcat 250 VS Trailblazer 275 DC TIG question

gearhead

Cast Iron
Going to be getting one or the other above listed welder/generators. On the TIG side of the welders it has the BC 250 going as low as 40 amps. The TB 275 DC will go as low as 20 amps. Do you long time TIG welders see a major issue with the BC 250 only going to 40 amps. I was told by the Miller sales rep that the 40 amp is the lowest the BC 250 can go, but the service rep told me you can get it to go lower than the 40???. The Trailblazer is about $500.00 more and I'm trying to keep the overall cost down if I can. Any help would be greatly welcomed.

Go with the TB. One option the TB is standard with is a 14pin remote connection. And I think (Not sure) some have lift arc for tig.

Also the TB has full 120v AC out at all settings of weld output. The BC is variable.

The TB uses full electronic active control to regulate voltage and current. The BD just uses a variable resistor and taps to control current.

I have looked, read about, demo ect. Both welders and I agree the Trailblazer is the way to go. Most likley I will be ordering on next week...Hopefully....Thanks gear

Also the TB has full 120v AC out at all settings of weld output. The BC is variable.
This often overlooked quirk can poke its ugly head out from time to time. If your running a 110v wire welder off the welders aux. output for instance. Tough to wire weld with one of those welders anyway, just try it with 1/2 the output. :eek:

I have a Trail Blazer that I use for Tig/Stick and extended reach push pull wire feed. It is a great machine and very stable at low amps. High Frequency box is a tad expensive for what it is. I would love to find a second hand High Frequency box for it.

I have a Bobcat and it's a great machine but several years ago I owned two trailblazer 250G's (I think they were the first series) I remember mine had 3 phase windings (which the BC's didn't) for the welding power section which produced a very smooth DC arc- actually about the best of any portable I have ever run. I'm sure the technology has made them even better. I don't do much portable tig, but if this is going to be your only tig machine- then spend the extra $500 or even a little more and get the 302 with AC capabilites. It looks like it would be a great all-in-one machine and will probably be my next portable...

Back