What's new
What's new

Info on speed of positioner for wire welding

Mark Leigh

Stainless
I am going to weld up an tube assembly with a small positioner I aquired. I have alot of wire welding experience but not much positioner use, as where to start on speed or inches per minute ?

I can check the speed in inches or feet per minute, I need a starting point, the od od the part is 2.5 inches, I am going to use .035 hard wire, 75/25 gas.

Thanks

I used to do this all day, every day. To make it worse, my app. was spot stitch on/spot stitch off timed. Could not get it right with FPM. Finally just practiced 'til I got it down. What really helped was a foot controlled rheostat.

Just like Ray said, if you really want to do it right, get a variable foot pedal to control it with.

Other than that, just turn the thing on and adjust until it looks right. You'll be surprised at how close you will probably be. Then just have someone adjust it as you tell them faster or slower.

What is a bitch is when you have one foot for the rotator and one for the heat.

You have to be setting down.

I had one that set a range on the dial and than fine with the foot I wish that i could find another like it.

As for as a starting point I always start in the middle of the dial.

One thing for shure it will always be to fast or too slow just got to decide what you can live with

Back