building a mig welder - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    With welders such Lincoln and Miller available at discounted prices all of the time, I wouldn't dream of building my own
    Online auction last week, pile of Miller Migs, 300-400 amps with feeders, all went around 1200.....and that's CDN dollarettes! Nuts to make your own, you couldn't do it for that. Solid machines, you buy wire by the barrel and they last.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Iowa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only aside note here, is that the OP is in the UK, so his availablility is not exactly same as ours...

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Understandable if he has a pile of old copper wound powersources,and wants to combine them with a more n modern wire feeder and technology......me ,I have a stack of old 400 and 600s with copper windings,but I just scrap em out when I feel like doing something.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole2534 View Post
    Recommend thread lock, the red kind for hobbyist BS.
    Nah. We need a stronger one. For outright NUT cases.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKamp View Post
    The only aside note here, is that the OP is in the UK, so his availablility is not exactly same as ours...
    Containerships dock every day, UK ports. Steady stream of rail and trucks from the continent as well. USA ain't the only country outside of China as makes decent welders. Continentals do it, too. Even the Brits at home have a toe in the water:

Oxford Welders | Home

About Us

"Lack-of" didn' stop Hump-free Bogart fixin' shit on a river cruise in Africa, nor "real world" folk in sandy deserts, remote ports or mines, nor muddy battlefields fixin' stuff with torch and tanks, no 'lectricity within a hundred miles and more.

Mebbe he should try gas welding to clear his mind that all he needs for an easier and more pleasant life is a REAL 'lectric welder 'stead of cheap-ass kleenex-disposable buzz-boxen?

DIY makes no more sense than going head to head with Michelin or Continental at makin' yer own rubber dump-truck tires outta used condoms and bungands that were good enough on a little kid's toy wagon.

Got work enough to burn-up one buzz-box after another? Got revenue enough at-risk to buy goods as make it faster, cheaper, higher-quality, and easier, "amortized".

Not a "welding" problem. Simple grocery-store arithmetic, rather. Never was a LAW required a welder to be stoopid.

Mind, some WILL "volunteer". You'd have to know "false economy"?

6. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Miller welder

Just sold a 450 amp, 100% Duty Cycle Mig for 500.00. It was 40 years old and would weld till you got tired of welding. Just saying