What's new
What's new

Building up cast iron by apx 1/8"

Scruffy887

Titanium
I have a very old CI T slot machine table top that looks to be from some type of planer, judging by the massive gear rack along the bottom. It is about 20" wide by almost 60" long. The T slots end about 5" from each end and there is a 3" deep full width pocket at each end. The 3 top edges of the pockets are as cast, and about 1/8 below the machined top. Table would be a lot more useful if I could build those ends up with ? Silicon Bronze?

My final plan is to face mill the entire top to clean it up. This heavy chunk was used outside and beat on a lot before I bought it. Some weld beads, some busted iron at T slot edges. No plans to make a silk purse from this pigs ear. Other option is to mill down the 3 pocket edges and bolt some filler pieces in, then face the entire top.

Other option is to mill down the 3 pocket edges and bolt some filler pieces in, then face the entire top.

I'd pursue this, and maybe just use 360 brass for the filler plates, with brass flatheads holding it on. A bit more expensive for materials, but free cutting and possibly a better match to the CI (unless that's been hardened) than a steel sheet.

Mill the ends to a fixed depth and screw on plate steel to bring it up to level.

Forget cast iron welding that the proper way with preheat and gas welding with cast iron rod. It would take a month to preheat.

metalmagpie

Bolting in an insert piece looks to be the simple way. Now I need to flip it over to see if milling will run into a void below. Flipping will also let me see if the rack can be removed. It is a bit longer that the main casting at both ends.

Back