Call all TIG guys / girls (Ya know pc these days) - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Bob, so true as with most things that are comprised of skill knowledge and art, ya gotta put in the time and never stop learning.
    I had the privilege of working with a tool and die guy for 6 years. He had been in the trade 30+ years and every day I would learn something new from him. Guy's like him are a dying breed, and I so miss having him in the shop but being able to come here and ask for help is the next best thing. In my eyes masters like him and a lot of guys here are akin to a cardiothoracic surgeon, they have spent the years learning and working to achieve an exceptional level competents in their trade. The one thing makes me is when some keener says "Oh he is just a machinist.". No way brother that man is equal to a highly experienced surgeon, sounds strange to make such a comparison but think about it.
    I will not even broach (no no pun) the disparity in earnings.

Really thank you so much; everyone for all your input, hints and suggestions.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing to practice feeding rod is take a piece of rod home with you (or inside if you are a hobbyist at home). Put a piece of masking tape on your leg, like 1" by one inch. While watching tv at night, feed the rod through your hand over and over aiming for that spot. Start with your hand closer, and move your hand further away over time. You can also make a smaller piece of tape over time. Before you know it, you are feeding that rod and hitting that mark without even realizing it. Tig welding is mostly being comfortable and muscle memory.
    Last edited by Gustav129; 10-12-2019 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Used to my cell phone auto capitalizing...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem with aluminum is the cleanliness (mat'l/rod/gas/tungsten) required to make good welds. Unless you have some guidance when starting with aluminum you'll be chasing your tail just to get a good bead started due to cleanliness.

Start with steel, and get a few hours torch time before starting on al.