What's new
What's new

Can steel be welded to an impact socket?

The Dude

Hot Rolled
I need to make a custom deep socket. It will be a standard deep, cut in half (across the width), and then a tube and maybe some 1/4" steel welded to the sides (mostly to make it longer). It's just for assembly, no great amount of torque for the process. It's possible that JB Weld or something might work if welding won't work.

Thanks,
The Dude

Yes. I've TIG welded with regular ER70S2 rod. 309 stainless might be a better option for joining mild steel to tool steel. Attached is a special tool I made for torquing the pinion nut in a quick change rear end out of a 1-3/4" impact socket.

0e63a02d7c6d279c39afe115b445f963.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I ran into a case once where the socket was made with leaded steel and could not be welded. I ordered one from another manufacturer and all was well.

Yeah, impact sockets are generally a soft steel(so it doesn't break under the impacts). You won't know if you can weld it until you try.

Preheat and austenitic stainless filler...........Ive welded up thinwall sockets ,and they still are OK many years later......I also make sockets for specilaized jobs.and IMHO,the weld metal is stronger than the socket metal......I also welded the anvil of an old compact IR 1" impact gun when it developed deep cracks,and its still going strong....Its a handy old gun,its sort of doubled over,half normal length.

I modify sockets all the time, there is always something.
Need a spanner for a bearing nut, chop four slots in a socket, bore the id and then add the black pipe extensions make it deep enough to clear the shaft end.
Chromed sockets (which impacts are generally not), grind that chrome off in the mating areas.
JB weld? A braze joint is maybe just as easy and much more reliable.
Fancy specked rod is not needed.
My go to is tig but arc stick or torch will do when that is what you have convenient at the moment.

Bigger problem is that your socket set is always short since you use it as on hand stock.
Bob

CB,problem is easily solved......go to all the vintage car and bike swaps,and as well as highly priced bits of rusty Indian,buy some of the $5 a bucket sockets.....no use looking for valuable collector spanners tho,everyone knows whats what off ebay.

I’ve done it plenty of times. No need for special rod or filler. Don’t need a tig, just a decent mig welder will do. Or arc welder and some 7018 rod (6011 works too). More important is the fit of the tube you are using for the extension. And if you aren’t going to use it with an impact gun, then there is no need for an impact socket

Back