Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    PORTUGAL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm using a dry cut saw for 20 years, Ridged (identical to Jepson)

I hate the thing, but it still works.

I bought it to work on site, and it was great for that because it can be carried in one hand, stowed away, and runs on single phase power. I cut hundreds of 2x2 angle and T profile.

The clamp is awful, real excrement. It will do at 90 degrees but will not hold miters, the stock slips and teeth break.
    A good clamp or vise grip solves the problem.

These are not suitable for heavy solid stock. Anything over 1" is a problem. I go to 1-1/4 while spraying coolant from a bottle.

They do ok on angle and tube. even 3" thick wall pipe. Well, medium thick anyway.

They're very loud, not as loud as an abrasive cutoff wheel but close.

Now I'm retired and it's my main metal saw in my home workshop.
    I want a better saw but there's no way to justify the expense as a home user.

They have their qualities, but these things are not comparable with a heavy shop tool like a bandsaw or coldsaw.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's hard to beat a cold saw, especially the Haberle 350. The blades are pricy but if you take care of them you can resharpen them over and over. My experience with chop saws are that they're great for everything but solid stock and relatively inexpensive to maintain. A cold saw like the Haberle is pretty expensive for home not counting the weight and power/air requirements, whereas a chopsaw is cheap and can be mounted on a heavy shop table.