What's new
What's new

Cast iron press brakes versus plate steel (Which ones are plate steel)

Speedie

Stainless
I recent discussion was noting that some chinese press brakes are cast iron. Does this not that seem rather dangerous considering the loads on the components?

What machines are not cast iron

LVD ?
MVD ?
AMADA ?
BYSTRONIC ?
TRUMPF ?
BAILEIGH ?
ACCURPRESS ?

Never seen a press brake that was cast before.

I would think if it was cast it would be cast STEEL no?

Seen biggun stamping presses thqat are cast iron, but they have huge steel tension rods to take the force.

I would think if it was cast it would be cast STEEL no?

Absolutely

Like our 600 ton Pacific

Cast steel for tough stuff like the running gear on this 1899 85 ton job. See? Cast steel has been with us a long time

Attachments

• Scan 02.jpg
    Scan 02.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 69
Some press brakes about 10 years ago were poorly made chinese castings and broke apart when forming a bend. I have seen pictures. I was just wondering without actually going to see each one if any of the above in the modern age are cast or if they are all cut from plate.

I've looked at cheap Chinese 10 and 20 ton presses sold by Harbor Freight. They come with two plates to press against. They are extremely dangerous since they are made of cast iron and will very likely break if used to support work items under pressure.

No, I didn't buy one of the presses. I have an old Taiwan-made unit that came with steel plates for that purpose.

I've looked at cheap Chinese 10 and 20 ton presses sold by Harbor Freight. They come with two plates to press against. They are extremely dangerous since they are made of cast iron and will very likely break if used to support work items under pressure.

No, I didn't buy one of the presses. I have an old Taiwan-made unit that came with steel plates for that purpose.

How did you determine they were cast iron, and not cast steel ?

Good question. That said, we are talking about Harbor Freight. If you had to guess, would you guess cast iron or cast steel? To tell the truth, I made no tests in the store, but I'd bet on cast iron.

I wouldn't take a chance on it, but it sounds like you might. :D

I don't guess, I test.

A simple drilled hole will prove fruitfull.

If you get it cheap enough you may worry the plates are cast iron, but you can always just get some plate water jetted from your wholesaler or your scrap bin to be safe.

This thread brings up the point that stuff explodes or gets cocked in presses and just goes flying at high speed. It makes sense to put a screen around the front and to the side where you stand. I had some of the lumpy HF press plates that were so unflat that they were dangerous to use. Tried to flatten one in the mill and what ever was used to cast those things ate carbide. Ended up using them as bases under gate posts in my field.

How does a harbor freight shop press have even the remotest relevance in a discussion about press brakes?

Dunno,any cast iron pressbrakes Ive seen were giants and generally 100 years old......but they are still working bending 12 ft lengths of 1/2 plate,and I think a modern machine in that class would be spendy......Furthermore,the OP has apparently not heard of SG cast irons,with yield strengths far in excess of his beloved boiler plate.

Back