What's new
What's new

Certiflat Fab Block Table

akjeff

Aluminum
Just finished building a Certiflat 24"x48" FabBlock welding/fixture table from weld tables .com. Pretty happy with the fit/quality. It's made with 3/8" thick plate, with alternating 16mm holes and tapped 1/2-13 on 2" centers.

A shot of the raw components.
IMG_7081.jpg

Clamped the daylights out of it, and tacked it together. Fit of the components was snug, but never took more than a light rap with a dead blow to assemble.
IMG_7103.jpg

Flipped right side up, checked for flatness, and tacked the top, and checked flatness once more. The straight edge is supposed to be straight to within .003". I put it across the top at 12" intervals, crossways, longways, and diagonally( straight edge is only 50", so couldn't quite reach corner to corner). When there was a visible gap(shining a bright light from behind)the thickest feeler gauge I could slip under was .010". They claimed that .015" or better was possible, so I'm pleased with the results.
IMG_7207.jpg

The mobile base is made with 1-1/2x2-1/2x3/16 wall tube. It was from a battery stand from work that was scrapped. Also included leveling pads, for when needed. Intent is to only use this for TIG to keep it clean. Had a 14ga topper bent up to cover it, for MIG and stick.
IMG_7222.jpg

they are better then nothing for a couple small pieces here and there. I have found that 3/8" isnt anywhere thick enough to work without bending or warping when even rolling around on any floor. all Steel is a big wet noodle.

With the way it's boxed in I bet it's fairly rigid. I definitely would not want a "welding table" like you see on eBay that's just a single 3/8" plate. This might be okay if it's implemented correctly. Would be even better if it was a little thicker plate. Are all those connection points welded?

And yeah, steel is a wet noodle for sure. I try to tell people that aren't fabricators or machinists and they just want to argue that point all day long. Easy to demonstrate though.

It is fairly rigid via the boxed in design. Yes there is weld in each of the rectangular slots. It will definitely move to some small degree. One of the reasons I put the four leveling pads on the base. Once in it's semi permanent place, they can be screwed down, and adjusted to take out some of the distortion. For home use, mainly for motorcycle related stuff/light fabrication, it should last a long time. Won't be beating, or heating the shit out of it. Just used for layout, mocking up, and TIG welding. I have no illusions of it being an Acorn platen, just a good reasonably priced, useful table.

Back