What's new
What's new

Choosing a horizontal bandsaw

52 Ford

Stainless
What would be a good horizontal bandsaw in the $1000 range? I'm asking for someone else - a knife maker, so smaller stock. Something like a 4X6 capacity saw.

Sent from the ENIAC using Tapatalk

When I started off, I purchase a refurbished jet 6x9 band saw. Only cost me $400. I was able to cut 24 pc of 1 1/4 sq tube at a time and square. It was not quick, but it did the job.

I have a used kalamazoo H9AW saw and I love it. Only paid $1,000 for it used. Cuts square and easily cuts *45. The standard H9 cuts just fine as well, just has a smaller blade. I see them a lot at different customer shops.

Someone that's handy and mechanically inclined can buy a lot more value for a lot less money in a used saw. There are dozens of brands to choose from. The older Kalamazoo's work pretty well and are sturdy. A roll-in or knock off of one is also a handy design. Personally, I'd stay away from the boxy design of the Johnson saws. They are clumsy and blade changing can be cumbersome. Casters on the saw in a small shop can help with space limitations. Jack bolts to make it immobile when needed are required.

I think the OP has the quest backwards. He has a budget of $1000. That's the defining factor. So, it's the best deal for that price. If it was me, I would not consider anything less than a professional saw. Those smaller options are mickey mouse toys and a waste of money that will inevitably be replaced with a real saw. So, why not do it right the first time? I have a 10" hydraulic saw with cooling for a little more money. They are out there, you just have to look. Brand is irrelevant.

The little 4x6 saws that you can use as vertical profile or horizontal cut off are not a bad choice for the dollar when all you cutting is a few sticks a week. Abrasive chop saw if they are doing all fancy knife steels- they just work.

Of course they could save pennies for a while and get an Everett abrasive saw or a real vertical saw.

The little 4x6 saws that you can use as vertical profile or horizontal cut off are not a bad choice for the dollar when all you cutting is a few sticks a week. Abrasive chop saw if they are doing all fancy knife steels- they just work.

Of course they could save pennies for a while and get an Everett abrasive saw or a real vertical saw.

Not really, You need both a vertical and a horizontal. I don't know how I did without my vertical contour saw for so many years. They are incredibly handy, but it is not a substitute for a horizontal band saw that I use for cutting raw stock.

What would be a good horizontal bandsaw in the $1000 range? I'm asking for someone else - a knife maker, so smaller stock. Something like a 4X6 capacity saw.

Sent from the ENIAC using Tapatalk

Not really, You need both a vertical and a horizontal. I don't know how I did without my vertical contour saw for so many years. They are incredibly handy, but it is not a substitute for a horizontal band saw that I use for cutting raw stock.
Huh....so the OP says "horizontal saw" ......:nutter:

The 4x6 works OK as an occasional vertical saw. It comes with a small table, but I rarely use mine.
Probably good enough for a knife maker.

That Grizzly model I linked has no vertical mode AFAIK.

I think the OP has the quest backwards. He has a budget of $1000. That's the defining factor. So, it's the best deal for that price. If it was me, I would not consider anything less than a professional saw. Those smaller options are mickey mouse toys and a waste of money that will inevitably be replaced with a real saw. So, why not do it right the first time? I have a 10" hydraulic saw with cooling for a little more money. They are out there, you just have to look. Brand is irrelevant.
I've never seen a Mickey Mouse bandsaw. I DID find this, though.
635a23b0ccb2132c18384ae98d22289f.jpg

Sent from somewhere inside your house using Tapatalk

I can't imagine spending $1000 on some dinky 4x6 thing. I'm in the camp of buy a good quality used saw with that money and don't look back.

My manual saw is 10x16 mitering Jet with a 1" x 11' blade. It's about 1200 lbs and mounted on HD 6" casters. It does not have brakes or leveling feet and that has never, ever been a problem. I've cut everything from 1/4" round 6061 through miter cutting 60 ft long W14x48 beams. It was my only saw feeding CNC mills and lathes for 10 years before I added an auto saw. Probably went through 6 blades a year over the past 16 years in that saw. Paid $800 for it and drove 600 miles to get it, but I would buy a new one at full retail if I needed another.

I think the Kalamazoo and Wells saws are decent. I'm in agreement with DKMC that Johnson's are kinda clunky.

Whatever you do stay away from the Ramco/Carolina junk. Those saws are absolute trash. I find it absurd how many people try selling them online for $500+ not realizing just how pathetic and useless they are.

The first saw I bought around 1981 was a lightly used Carolina Tool specimen. Not even a gearbox, just a V belt turning the blade wheel. One of the first jobs I got was 3-3/8 round 718 inconel. I added coolant via a Detroit Diesel fuel transfer pump. And the belt slipped. I added chain drive. And ate up several carbon steel blades till the supply house convinced me to try a bi-metal blade at double the price. Eventually, I managed to get it to cut square and cut up a couple 12' bars of the 718. Seems like I got it down to around 4 minutes per cut. Quite the learning experience......that I can chuckle about.......now.

Whatever you do stay away from the Ramco/Carolina junk. Those saws are absolute trash. I find it absurd how many people try selling them online for $500+ not realizing just how pathetic and useless they are.

I think they're going with a JET HVBS-56V.

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

Doug built that with a 4X6 Harbor Freight bandsaw. https://x-default-stgec.uplynk.com/...0/poster_74a256bfbc4649bea512148330de4529.jpg

Frankly, I think that JET HVBS-56V looks like a great saw for what it costs and I'm fairly certain it'll do a good job.

Buying a dual column automatic saw or some other fanciness is just a waste of money if you don't need it.

Edit: If they were doing high production CNC type stuff, a bigger saw would be justified. For a custom knife maker, it isn't needed.

Hell when I make knives, I usually hot cut the stock with a Hardie tool. I'm usually working from round or square, though.

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

Back