What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 1812 Shear Help

adamfischer

Plastic
We bought a 1/4 - 12' Mechanical Shear at auction. The exact model # is wore off. The machine was wired for 380volt Canadian. We put a transformer in and the machine will power up. The blade will go up and down but wont stop unless you shut it off and then it slowly stops. We initially thought it was the brake but adjusting that didn't help. I feel like there is something that would disengage the gear inside (from limited research) but I cannot figure out how it works or where to start. Any insite would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

If you call Cincinnati they will e-mail you a .pdf copy of the entire manual for your shear at no charge.

Seems your clutch isn't automatically re-engaging. Does it start to cut when you turn the machine off and on again? Is it a air/electric/mechanical mechanism?

I have a wysong shear and they have this bar on the clutch that automatically kicks it out. If the 1 bolt is broken, which wysong says happens about once in 20 years type, it wont re-engage the clutch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ours did the same thing the first time we powered it up. A 1957 model 1412. Ours is mechanical, after cycling it a few times intentionally it freed up and quit cycling. Apparently the foobar or it's mechanism was stiff. It should pull up via spring. A lever then pulls a pin out of the clutch to cycle. The pin could be stuck out. It is on the right side behind the gear box. As long as the pin is pulled out it will cycle.

That doesn't mean that it isn't the brake adjustment entirely, you may not have found the sweet spot. I had the same problem on a Wysong-- come to find out there was oil all over the brake and no amount of tightening would have got it into adjustment. I'd open up the brake and clean it first-- start out loose and keep tightening with every stroke and see if it stops then. Is there much brake pad left?

If that's not it-- it may possibly be timing. On one shear gearbox I worked on there were 3 bolts that when loosened allowed one to change the timing... had to be in concert with the brake of course.

Do you know what the flywheel direction is supposed to be? You could be running backwards and not know it.

It happened to me on a mechanical shear.

Do you know what the flywheel direction is supposed to be? You could be running backwards and not know it.

It happened to me on a mechanical shear.

Old thread I know but we just picked up an 1810 shear today and need to wire it up. What direction should the motor spin? Interesting when we went to look at it a few months ago it was in continuous operation. They had just wired it up to show it under power.

Old thread I know but we just picked up an 1810 shear today and need to wire it up. What direction should the motor spin? Interesting when we went to look at it a few months ago it was in continuous operation. They had just wired it up to show it under power.

You just have to test. A 3ph motor can be wired forward, backwards or wrong(ie the motor just hums.)

If it's backwards the shear might keep cycling as there may be no stop for the clutch dog in that direction.

Another clue might be other controls. If it has a backgauge and it runs out when it should run in that might tell you.

Back