Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cincinnati 1812 Shear Help

We bought a 1/4 - 12' Mechanical Shear at auction. The exact model # is wore off. The machine was wired for 380volt Canadian. We put a transformer in and the machine will power up. The blade will go up and down but wont stop unless you shut it off and then it slowly stops. We initially thought it was the brake but adjusting that didn't help. I feel like there is something that would disengage the gear inside (from limited research) but I cannot figure out how it works or where to start. Any insite would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you call Cincinnati they will e-mail you a .pdf copy of the entire manual for your shear at no charge.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems your clutch isn't automatically re-engaging. Does it start to cut when you turn the machine off and on again? Is it a air/electric/mechanical mechanism?

I have a wysong shear and they have this bar on the clutch that automatically kicks it out. If the 1 bolt is broken, which wysong says happens about once in 20 years type, it wont re-engage the clutch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ours did the same thing the first time we powered it up. A 1957 model 1412. Ours is mechanical, after cycling it a few times intentionally it freed up and quit cycling. Apparently the foobar or it's mechanism was stiff. It should pull up via spring. A lever then pulls a pin out of the clutch to cycle. The pin could be stuck out. It is on the right side behind the gear box. As long as the pin is pulled out it will cycle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That doesn't mean that it isn't the brake adjustment entirely, you may not have found the sweet spot. I had the same problem on a Wysong-- come to find out there was oil all over the brake and no amount of tightening would have got it into adjustment. I'd open up the brake and clean it first-- start out loose and keep tightening with every stroke and see if it stops then. Is there much brake pad left?

If that's not it-- it may possibly be timing. On one shear gearbox I worked on there were 3 bolts that when loosened allowed one to change the timing... had to be in concert with the brake of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you know what the flywheel direction is supposed to be? You could be running backwards and not know it.

It happened to me on a mechanical shear.

7. Likes gary-sc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MachineMfg.com View Post
    Hope the operation manual of the hydraulic guillotine can be helpful for you.
    Your not helping, OP clearly stated "mechanical" and your is "hydraulic"

Stop spamming this forum.