What's new
What's new

Clinching Sheet metal as a joining method

JP Machining

Stainless
Has anyone built there own clinching machine or figured out a cheap method of using punch and dies from some place?

I make some parts that are currently spot welded , max 2 pcs of 20 ga stainless. Been looking into clinching machines to use instead of the spot welds, as fast, no heat, and no question if secured or not. So far the price on one machine was like $13k for a smallish machine with a 12" horn. It looks to me like a C frame press with a fancy punch and die set and just cant figure out how they are getting that kind of money for it. I'm waiting on a few other quotes to come in but so far its not looking like I'll be able to justify the price.

This is an example of what I'm talking about.

Hmm, maybe. That looks like to work in a press brake, I need a horn to stick out and reach inside of some parts but it might be a start. Thx

I'll have to look into it But I think the BTM stuff is only good for mild steel, I need for stainless. Typically that means a rectangular style clinch.

Some types of standing seam metal roofing are seamed or hemmed together with portable tools that roll along the joint folding and crimping as they go. Been a while since Ive seen one but might be something to look at.

That's pretty neat looking. It's like a mechanical spot weld.

I worked in the roofing industry for a while and i seamed a ton of downspout by hand. It was way different than this. That seamed together 4 layers of material into 1 square log.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

We use Toggle Locks in a few Applications.

We have made holders for the Press Brake and for our Hardware Presses.

We have 1 application where we need to attach 2 Hat Channels to the bottom of a Chassis made from Galvanneal. Spotwelding was difficult with having to clean the tips every 3 parts. Toggle Locks were the answer.

We built a holder for an Amada LD Press Brake. The Hat Channels were located using Half Shears. The Toggle Locks were done 4 at a time feeding the part in as the Back gage moved.

If you can live with a hole in the metal it would probably be easier to do a simple punch and and die for staking the parts together and it would be flush like your spot welds. Clinching is basically the same thing but it disrupts both pieces so it's a little more involved, seems to be all the rage these days though.

Back