What's new
What's new

CNC Plasma

DieselMater86

Aluminum
So who all in runs, programs, designs, or really anything on a CNC Plasma? I just bought my 1st machine and going to try my hand with Fusion 360. I have been using Inventor at my daily job for 2 years now so not a hard transition but weird finding where somethings are located. I'm really trying to get my programming streamlined a bit. Just trying to learn just how the 2D Plasma Tool paths work.

you can get creative programing a plasma to take advantage of bevel cutting backwards, but 99.99999 time it is just a dxf or dstv import. You set parameters on the machine for holes (or to use/not use set parameters like tru hole or small hole) and lead in/out overburn for stock. Your machine parameters should take care of gases, pressures, dwells, and voltages.. none of that is in files imported.
A good dstv will have which parameters to default to, and a good controller will flag odd parameters.
the skews and all that are done by camera or eyeballing two points on the machines I know and have used (controlled automation, hornet, and voortman (voortmans are pretty places to store dirt and steel). If you are using dstv+ files I have not found them to be any good on importing nest, the machines software is better in every case.

So who all in runs, programs, designs, or really anything on a CNC Plasma? I just bought my 1st machine and going to try my hand with Fusion 360. I have been using Inventor at my daily job for 2 years now so not a hard transition but weird finding where somethings are located. I'm really trying to get my programming streamlined a bit. Just trying to learn just how the 2D Plasma Tool paths work.

What machine ?
What software ?

Its a DIY kit from Delto-Engineering using SheetCam for machine, and I'm using Fusion 360 for CAD.

Kinda what I figured, I have worked with (3) very similar,
My own, with sheetcam, and (2) Torchmate POS's

You'll be o.k. with sheetcam.

So I think this post dealing with beveling is gonna be a "no"...for now at least.....

you can get creative programing a plasma to take advantage of bevel cutting backwards, but 99.99999 time it is just a dxf or dstv import. You set parameters on the machine for holes (or to use/not use set parameters like tru hole or small hole) and lead in/out overburn for stock. Your machine parameters should take care of gases, pressures, dwells, and voltages.. none of that is in files imported.
A good dstv will have which parameters to default to, and a good controller will flag odd parameters.
the skews and all that are done by camera or eyeballing two points on the machines I know and have used (controlled automation, hornet, and voortman (voortmans are pretty places to store dirt and steel). If you are using dstv+ files I have not found them to be any good on importing nest, the machines software is better in every case.

Thanks,
Yeah I started messing with SheetCam a little last night. This is a business venture I'm starting and using this starter CNC Plasma to get things up and going with customers and money flow. We are looking at a bigger and better machine, and then we will be adding a Haas Mill to the mix after that. I have had some great feed back and tons of emails so seems like it may grow faster than anticipated. We both have day jobs and agree upon all money the first year our business makes will 100% go back into the business to grow it.

Another vote for SheetCAM - superb software and Les is very responsive if problems occur.

Signs and stuff I draw in Inkscape, but technical things I draw in an old (2007) version of AutoCAD and export as DXF's to Sheetcsm

Register with PlasmaSpider.com - Index page - lots of handy advice there.

I started with Sheetcam, it's OK. I greatly prefer the integrated CAD/CAM offered by F360.

What are you using for a torch height controller?

My table runs under Mach3 and I have a Purelogic USB connected torch height control.

I bought my table as a bit of a wreck - the previous owner had built it himself and the mechanics were reasonable but the electronics were a nightmare. The individual modules were all ok but the way they were thrown together, literally loose in a box on the floor, was horrid. Hence the rebuild all detailed here :

Titivating A CNC Plasma Table

I'm thinking about buying SheetCam and Mach 3. I used Mach 3 a few years ago and its very User Friendly. This is just a starter table till i get covered up then it will just be a overflow projects table. I'm starting on the electronics tonight so hopefully it will go smoothly.

Taking my time as far as getting the right settings and such. I got inkscape last night and its awesome for cleaning images. Then got SheetCam up and spit out 5 programs in no time. Had a few issues at first, but found a great youtube channel showing SheetCam basics to advanced uses, and made it way easier.

Please look at inkscape. It is a free open source CAD program. I am a school teacher and run a side business out of my house with my CNC plasma machine. I have inkscape and sheetcam with mach 3. I also have a cnc milling machine at my school that I use fusion 360 with. Fusion is way too advanced IMHO for just plasma cutting. All you need is the geometry. Inkscape is, in my experience, efficient and powerful. It, like any program, simply takes practice on how to use it.

Back