Concerned About Miller Quality - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    As with many other things, you're doing yourself a real disservice by limiting yourself to domestic manufacturers.

I rarely do any welding, but everyone I know who uses them talks very highly of Kemppi.
    They look cool, however, with no distributors, parts or service in the US, I can't imagine anyone in the US buying one.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mTeryk View Post
    They look cool, however, with no distributors, parts or service in the US, I can't imagine anyone in the US buying one.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    I found that hard to believe so checked, and sure enough you're right.

They are literally everywhere in the world apart from NA, they're even right on your doorstep in Mexico. Politics?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we are 2-1/2 years in on a new Dynasty inverter based TIG welder - this thing hasn't missed a beat and it gets used every single day for a huge variety of welding tasks. I think you just have a crappy local service provider.

4. Likes Ohio Mike liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motion guru View Post
    we are 2-1/2 years in on a new Dynasty inverter based TIG welder - this thing hasn't missed a beat and it gets used every single day for a huge variety of welding tasks. I think you just have a crappy local service provider.
    How can the local people keep it from failing ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    How can the local people keep it from failing ?
    They can't, but the "tech" that is also in charge of bottle filling and floor sweeping can't fix it either.......

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    They can't, but the "tech" that is also in charge of bottle filling and floor sweeping can't fix it either.......
    The OP has had "failures" in his/her shop.

Then it goes into the LWS for "repairs"

Yes the LWS is failing from a "repair" standpoint, but if Motion's machine never needs repairs, how would the good or bad LWS be a factor ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    ...I have a friend who autongenous welds schedule 10 stainless pipe, for breweries, where every weld must be 100% perfect. The new Miller inverter tig he uses, on jobsites in breweries, does things that the old P&H refridgerator sized machines just could not do.
    Boy, did that exactly cover why I sold the big P&H. It had the adjustable waveform option (big handle like some kind of clutch on a locomotive or tugboat) and you could do some nice work with it—but nothing like the instant adjustment possible with the Dynasty that replaced it. The Dynasty is smaller than the chiller that used to sit on top of the P&H. Yes, the P&H also had a coil of 4/0 wires so I could run stick at 400 amps if I wanted to, but that got to be pretty high on the list of things I no longer wanted to do.

Local welders would gaze at the P&H with envy but it was like how I used to drool over a Monarch NN or an American Pacemaker and then remember, Oh, wait a minute, I have CNCs.

9. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are not satisfied with Miller quality ...

... time to switch to Budweiser!

11. Likes MichaelP liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Personally think the inverters are way over rated in terms of duty cycle. I just don't think they can be ran balls out all the time. Im stuck with them for now because it can go down to 1 amp which I need on some parts. Ive only ever seen 2 miller inverters go bad out of heck guessing 40-50 over the years at different places Ive worked.

First inverter I ever used was an old thermal arc. Was my favorite for 200+ amps TIG welding. Have heard they suck now but don't know.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OP....while you're waiting and down without a machine, go by one at Harbor Freight. Use it for 90 days and return it if you don't like it.
    If it fails in that time, take it back and they'll give you a new machine, no questions asked. Because it sounds like even HF has better service
    than the people you've been dealing with. Maybe you should even spring for the extended warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had my Dynasty 200 for a little over 9 years now, in use every day in both production and job shop work. Except for the shit water cooler it came with it has had zero problems. I have a 350p mig welder that had a bad board in the first year of very light use, covered under warranty, and been running good for about 5 years now. The little Miller 150 gets very little use (tacking stuff up in the field) but it's great when I need it and has never hiccuped. My Syncrowave 500s is a beast, it just keeps running, (it creates enough of a magnetic field that the fan on the wall above it spins when you strike an arch with higher amperage) it's mainly used for thick aluminum jobs and not for production. Overall happy with our Millers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by turnworks View Post

First inverter I ever used was an old thermal arc. Was my favorite for 200+ amps TIG welding. Have heard they suck now but don't know.
    The older sanrex made thermal arx machines were awesome. I still make my living with one, and love it.

Then, the name got sold, and the new thermal arc branded machines are basically hobby grade machines, made in China.

That said, I ran across the sanrex booth at fabtech let year. There actually is US distribution for Japanese made Sanrex machines, so you can still get brand new units. I'm hanging onto Atlanta distributor's flyer, she will give that a long look when it comes time to get another TIG power source.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gary-sc View Post
    I've had my Dynasty 200 for a little over 9 years now, in use every day in both production and job shop work. Except for the shit water cooler it came with it has had zero problems. I have a 350p mig welder that had a bad board in the first year of very light use, covered under warranty, and been running good for about 5 years now. The little Miller 150 gets very little use (tacking stuff up in the field) but it's great when I need it and has never hiccuped. My Syncrowave 500s is a beast, it just keeps running, (it creates enough of a magnetic field that the fan on the wall above it spins when you strike an arch with higher amperage) it's mainly used for thick aluminum jobs and not for production. Overall happy with our Millers.
    So you bought a new one in the past 2 years eh?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awake View Post
    If you are not satisfied with Miller quality ...

... time to switch to Budweiser!

Once on the DC Beltway in the early 70s I passed another welding truck, also with a big Perkins-Diesel-powered Miller on it—but his had had the Miller logo decal carefully removed and replaced with a big Miller Beer logo. I imagine he drew steering-wheel-pounding guffaws from every other welding truck that saw it.

18. Likes awake liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    So you bought a new one in the past 2 years eh?
    No I haven't

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gary-sc View Post
    No I haven't
    Good luck if you do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To the OP I’d advise any salesman of your intentions to mig weld 1/4” a lot. A good one wouldn’t sell you less than a 250amp 60% duty cycle machine (that would be the minimum). hawkfan9 in post #2 has one in the 1989 MM220 (really 250 @ 60% but labeled for 100% DC).

I think this is all price points & markets against buyers & sellers. My PM300mp (now the 350mp from lincoln, just re-badged) in 2003 = $3,200 & is now $5100ish. It’s 230amp @ 100% which would allow for constant welding 1/4” at proper heat input vs travel speeds (all materials). I’m a little unsettled about gary-sc’s experience with the 350P (similar price $$$$ machine) as they have been good over the years for CV (all-mig) welding machines???

About the square wave tranny tig’s, both blue & red show very high input currents if they have PFC’s in them. The voltage leak back to the power meter is very small so the bill reflects about the same as 100-150watt light bulb. Explaining WHY they are in there (when they are) would be for another thread (my red 1998 SW275 doesn’t have them & it limits high current AC at out of balance settings). Nevertheless, these machines SHOULD run 40,000hrs+ MTBF but with all the copper they’d top the price of the newest big Dynasty…

I have the mid-80’s Kemmpi MP1500 trio inverter that’s 60% duty at 150amps. It’s a welding fool with .030” wire for tube cladding. It needs 52amps at 110V or 26amps @ 220 (you read that right!). These carried Lloyds highest ratings so they’re ship happy puppies. Little known fact about them was you can drop the power supply, hook the neutral AC input and the ground cables to the ship structure and then carry the 1 hot AC input voltage cord to the machine plug… Slick as shit (but how do it know what’s neutral and what’s work ground??? → it just does… The CC (stick side) isn’t quite up to the 3/4” weld mold rod by it below. Price late 80’s $2400ish...

Hoping for everyone's sake all the bad ones are outliers (at proper specs & prices).

Good luck
    Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kemppi.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Maguire View Post

About the square wave tranny tig’s, both blue & red show very high input currents if they have PFC’s in them. The voltage leak back to the power meter is very small so the bill reflects about the same as 100-150watt light bulb. Explaining WHY they are in there (when they are) would be for another thread (my red 1998 SW275 doesn’t have them & it limits high current AC at out of balance settings). Nevertheless, these machines SHOULD run 40,000hrs+ MTBF but with all the copper they’d top the price of the newest big Dynasty…

Hoping for everyone's sake all the bad ones are outliers (at proper specs & prices).

Good luck
    Matt
    Matt,

Would that also apply to a non-squarewave TIG 300/300 as well ?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi2wheels View Post
    Matt,

Would that also apply to a non-squarewave TIG 300/300 as well ?
    Thanks.
    No, the grey & red 300/300’s did not have square wave trickery and AC balance control so there are no power factor correction caps in them. They DO have big ass cooling fans though that run constant (800 wattish) and a really big lump inside.

Good luck
    Matt

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks every one. I see allot of good comments both ways. I prefer to stick with American brands. My thought is to buy the Miller Multimatic 255 as it has allot of features I like but also buy the Ranger 330 from Lincoln. I'm looking to use the engine driven unit for double duty. It would primarily be the backup generator for my house but also have it on a trailer ready for transport to a site. I have heard of folks doing this and like the idea especially since it could deliver 10Kw at the same price as a standard stand alone generator. By buying both brands I'm covered, when the Miller breaks I have the Lincoln and vice versa.

Thoughts?