What's new
What's new

conecting spoolmatic 3 to a esab airco dip pac 250 for welding aluminum.

BigEarl

Plastic
I have a spoolmatic 3 that I just got in and a dip pac 250 mig ( esab airco). My question. 1. Can I direct connect? 2. Need a magic box? or 3. totally hopeless and impossible? If it is not possible to connect the spoolmatic 3 to the dip pac 250 I also have a Lincoln idealarc sp200 mig and a 20 year old harbor freight 161 mig. My goal is to use up a large supply of .080 5052 aluminum that I have on hand. So when the deal came to me on the spoolmatic 3 spool gun I jumped at it. I plan to possibly build trailers, boats, ramps, fuel tanks, water tanks, tool boxes ect. Maybe even the body to a ATV. It is my understanding that because the wire feed speed control is built into the spoolmatic 3 this hybrid (miller - esab) welder may be possible. All I need to do is 1. turn the power to the welding lead on and off 2. turn the gas on and off. 3. power up the spool gun. Thank you and God's blessing to you.

Last edited:
miller forum has the pin out and plugs needed for to Lincoln option. Esabs run a contactor different than others which might cause some weird burn back issues, like esab stock-only more exaggerated. Make sure you are running 24 vdc to spool motor and not 30v- not machinist 24 needed, closer to 24 than 30. the gun has a resistor pot to reduce for wire speed, but 30 volts shortens its life.
30a to lincoln 256 -

Miller Welding Discussion Forums

Looks like the Lincoln option has the most promise. My spoolmaster 3 has 3 wires Where do I hook them to on my Lincoln Sp 200?

three wires, or three chords? you should have weld lead + and minus- big thick chords and an ampernal connector with pins on third chord. I am not sure if it is a true ampernal brand connector, but looks like one. depending on gun I think you run machine on local, not on remote settings.

spoolmatic 3 is older that 30a, I cant remember what changed but it will plug directly in to old millermatic 200 (among others), getting a wiring diagram for one of those might help.I think 30a has less on board electronics.

three wires, or three chords? you should have weld lead + and minus- big thick chords and an ampernal connector with pins on third chord. I am not sure if it is a true ampernal brand connector, but looks like one. depending on gun I think you run machine on local, not on remote settings.

You are correct that there are 3 "cables" but they are the power lead that provides welding current, the control cable with the amphenol plug, and the third is the gas hose. The ground lead goes direct from welding machine to the work and has nothing to do with the spool gun.

You are correct that there are 3 "cables" but they are the power lead that provides welding current, the control cable with the amphenol plug, and the third is the gas hose. The ground lead goes direct from welding machine to the work and has nothing to do with the spool gun.

correct, my brain is on work work. one big wire (lead), one multi-wire (control and dc power), one hose. The control pinout I think is ops question. 3 wires in control chord would be a b g wires active.wm-miller-14-pin-plug-graph.jpg

Back